Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
 Had some 3D fun today. >

Had some 3D fun today.

Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Had some 3D fun today.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Had some 3D fun today.

Sorry guys, ive never been to or shot a 3d, and it sounds like a great time. im just now getting comfortable with distance and the farthest ive shot was 50 yards. how far do you have to shoot during 3d's. is there like a newb line that is closer or do you just have to be prepared to shoot. im not trying to steal the thread this just got me very interested b/c it seems like a great time. thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not stealing the thread at all... That's our intent: to get more people involved in this great sport of archery, and if we can bring in some more 3d shooters as well, that's a bonus.

There's generally two governing bodies for 3d shoots: IBO and ASA. Local clubs will generally adhere to the guidelines set forth by one of those two sanctioning organizations, even when it's not a "sanctioned shoot."

Most people seem to start off in the Hunter Class, and eventually step up to MBR (Male Bowhunter Release) or Open Class.

For ASA shoots, the max yardage is supposed to be 40 yards, and you're limited to a stabilizer no longer than 12" and four fixed pins. ASA does offer a bow novice class as well, with the max distance set at 30 yards. A person may compete in this class until they win $300, at which time they must move up to Hunter or something else.

For IBO shoots, the max yardage is supposed to be 35 yards for Hunter Class. There is a "fudge factor" built in though which will allow targets to be set a couple yards past the max distance, to account for differences in rangefinders for the person setting up the range.

Keep in mind,local clubs can do anything they want... especially if it's not a sanctioned shoot like a state qualifier.

Today, we were generally going by ASA rules, and we shot in a class called Male Bowhunter Release. I know after we finished shooting from one stake, I pulled out my rangefinder (which I only ranged a couple targets AFTER we had all shot) and hit the target at 45 yards, so we had some targets that required a poke to get to.

But don't let that scare you off... If you want to go toa shoot and just have fun, no one's going to care where you shoot from if you're not trying to take their trophy from them. You can also do what I did my first couple shoots: I knew I wouldn't be close to being in contention for podium finish, so I paid my money for a "fun shoot"... a lot of clubs have that set up and it's usually like $5 cheaper than the guys going for the hardware. I was just trying to get my feet wet, and I was only shooting against myself.

I'd encourage you to give it a try... it's a blast, clubs usually serve great food at the end, and it's usually a good family atmosphere!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am glad you guys enjoyed yourself. I talked to my buddy Kirby Sunday night as I was driving back from Indiana. He told me the turn out was pretty poor, I am guess the weather. As Greg/MO stated, these shoots are a ton of fun and a great way to get out and practice to make sure you are golden come Nov when it really counts. I would suggest to everyone to get out and hit some shoots up and support your local archery clubs. I can tell you that there has been a lot of clubs fold because of lack of participation at these shoot in the last several years.

I wish I would have been around to shoot with everyone, it sounds like you guys had a great time. However, I was able to make a shoot up in Indiana with my dad and brother. Not only was I able to kick their butts (which felt great), but I was able to scrape a 1st place myself.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, im going not this sunday but next witha guy i know that shoots 3d and indoor. its in kentucky. i was thinking about going this weekend to the shoot in tell cityIL(i think) but i dont have my stabilizer yet and i want to practice a little bit more. im going to shoot the hunter class, and i suppose its ibo rules b/c he said it is 35 yrd give or take a few. i could probably shoot the open and do ok with a range finder but not w/out one. not yet. im pretty excited. thanks guys.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad you guys had fun. I guess if we'd had a mod in our group....we coulda kept our post on this board......lol

Glad ya'll had a good time.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Glad you guys had fun. I guess if we'd had a mod in our group....we coulda kept our post on this board......lol

Glad ya'll had a good time.
Nah, it got moved too!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

That was fast, Rob. Only took a week. Mine was up a few minutes.....lol.

For the record....it's freakin APRIL....and nothing's in season in most states, yet. I don't care WHAT anyone posts in the bowhunting forum.....as long as it's the BH forum guys keeping in touch.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

That was fast, Rob. Only took a week. Mine was up a few minutes.....lol.

For the record....it's freakin APRIL....and nothing's in season in most states, yet. I don't care WHAT anyone posts in the bowhunting forum.....as long as it's the BH forum guys keeping in touch.

AMEN