Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Flea & Tick preventatives??? >

Flea & Tick preventatives???

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Flea & Tick preventatives???

Old 04-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Flea & Tick preventatives???

I'm looking for a decent flea & Tick preventative that won't break the bank... seems like the frontline and advantax stuff are 4 times as much as the bio spot and hartz stuff that apparently is the same type of thing?

Anyways, what is a good brand to buy?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Default RE: Flea & Tick preventatives???

Ajax

I don't think paying $15.00 per treatment for protecting your dog from Flea's & Ticks, & Mosquitoes is that expensive at all.

It also Repels And Kills Ticks Including Those That May Transmit Lyme Disease.

Also it Kills 98-100% Of Fleas Within 12 Hours. And Kills Mosquitoes as well.

I use Frontline Plus it protects my Lab from the above mentioned as well as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...

Think of this way Ajax, It amounts to a whopping $0.50 cents a day
Old 04-17-2005, 01:12 PM

Your right, it's not that expensive but... why is the hartz plus 9.95 and the frontline plus 33.95? What makes it that much better? When comparing the packages they seem to do the exact same thing with identical ingredients, but the hartz plus 1/3 of the price?
Old 04-17-2005, 03:36 PM

If the Frontline Plus is $33.00 it's for atleast 3 treatments and i can bet hartz does not have the same ingrediants or chemicals used and the time it protects is not as long.

Also hartz does not include a med that stops the fleas from reproducing and frontline plus and some others has this in their formulas but it's your pet and your money so you have every right to chose whats in your budget but for me when it comes time to protect my lab/investment i make sure she has the protection she needs so she does not get sick or get infested with fleas or die of any tic diseases..

-=CK=-
Old 04-18-2005, 10:24 AM

Ajax,
take a hard look at the ingredients on the package. I might be wrong, but i am pretty sure that the bio-spot and harts stuff use pyrethrins as the active ingredient. pyrethrins just dont cut it anymore. the flea and tick populations have built up resistance over the years. Frontline will do the trick 98% of the time.
Another alternative (cheaper) would be to use Ivomec once a month. I have alot of clients that use oral ivomec once a month for heartworms that say it does the trick for fleas and ticks too. I dont have anything but their word to go on, but that is what they say. I know that Ivomec will kill fleas and ticks, I am just unsure about how long it lasts in their system after dosing it. Just make sure your dog is heartworm negative before you use it!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:40 PM

I have been using Double Impact Ivermectin for the last three years on a Chessie and a Lab with very good luck. Both dogs are about 100 lbs. I inject it in the scruff of the neck every month. When I first moved into the house I am in, both dogs were covered with fleas and ticks. Since using Ivermectin have seen no fleas and only three ticks which were dead when I pulled them off. I keep an eye on their stool and have seen no signs of parasites.

I bought the Ivermectin at a feed store for $27 for 50ml. I inject just under 1 ml per 100 lbs. This equates to about $0.54 a month. I used Revolution and Interceptor before this and even if price was the same I still feel that the Ivermectin is more effective.

Be aware that this is labeled for use on cattle and swine only. Don't ask for it for your canine or you might not get it. Several local trainers and breeders had recommended it to me. I like it and will continue to use it. Just my two cents.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:22 PM

I am not sure which one it is but one of the types of treatments will lose its effectiveness if the dog goes swiming. Has anyone used revolution. It is also supposed to help control ticks after using it a couple of months. It can also be used on puppies. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.
scott
Old 04-19-2005, 09:43 AM

dogdr says, "pyrethrins just dont cut it anymore. the flea and tick populations have built up resistance over the years. Frontline will do the trick 98% of the time. "

Now I'm sure you know a lot more than I do in terms of what is "supposed" to work and what doesn't. But, I can tell you, coming from someone who upland bird hunts 60 plus days a year in the thick Wisconsin tick infested coverts, that Frontline wasn't very successful with me. I used it for 2 years and it didn't cut the mustard in terms of ticks here.

Last here I switched to Bio-spot. 2 dogs, 60 some odd outings chasing grouse, not 1 tick to pick off. I've heard some grumblings about bio-spot, but, in my book, the stuff works...better than frontline plus....which I know many vets get a cut from.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:58 AM

Lking,
hey, if it works for you, then by all means, use it! it is cheaper. I just know I have sen alot of cats and dogs covered in fleas and ticks that the owner said they used a prethrin or permethrin on. As for getting a cut of the Frontline, its no different than Walmart getting a cut of what they sell you. Both of us buy from the manufacturer, mark it up, then sell to you. Me, Im just an associate vet, so no matter how much stuff i sell i get paid the same. Why are people always ready to accuse vets of trying to screw somebody?? Im not saying thats what you meant, i have just read alot of things along thise lines lately on various forums.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:16 PM

We have used Bio-Spot for 2 yrs now with no problems with fleas or ticks. I just ordered another batch for this summer. Last summer we 23 dogs plus 1 inside, and the only ticks that we saw was on us. No fleas whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Flea & Tick preventatives???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.