Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog house plans

Old 03-27-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Dog house plans

Does anybody have some plans for a dog house. I am moving my GSH to her kennel. She has been in the house and will still come in the house occasionally. She is 6 months old. Looking for plans that have the flat roof with hinges, removable wind wall, insulation, etc.

I could go at it from scratch but a good design would be nice.

Thanks

[email protected]
Old 03-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Dog house plans

Well, I don't know where you you live, but it gets fairly cold here in Oklahoma and I still like what I use. First off, I have a covered area with 3 walls, much like stable. It's big enough for cattle to use, so that gives you an idea (maybe 10 feet by 8 feet). Inside that I use a 55 gallon plastic barrel with a hole cut in the front. It uses a plastic pvc pipe-constructed cradle to hold it steady. I fill it with pine shavings (not bark or chips, but shavings). My dog stays warm. I know that you can also do this but then bolt down a small piece of sheet metal as an "awning" or overhang over the door. This helps keep water or snow out. Also, cut the hole to where it is a semi-circle, leaving the bottom of the front uncut, so the dog must "hop" into the house, if that makes sense. That way it will easily hold your straw or shavings. In the summertime, I don't use any shavings. Some guys place a plastic 'doggy-door' on these houses, but I don't recommend this, as I believe that will only create a way for the dog's breath to create a perspiration on the walls, which could then freeze or even suffocate the dog. Leave it open. My pup has gone a summer and a winter in his barrel, and it is working out great. I am even considering building a travel box for the truck bed out of a barrel. I know it wasn't the plan you were looking for, but it has worked really well for 1 year old this past year. He has been using it since he was 8 weeks old. Good luck
Old 03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

If I was at home (I'm up at college) I'd find our plans and/or give you measurements. I think I obtained our plans from a Gun Dog magazine years ago. But to give you an idea, the front of the roof (the side where the door is) is higher than the rear by an inch or two to allow water to drain to the rear. Looking at the front it's probably about 3.5 ft - 4ft wide with the same depth, and the door is off the one side. It sits on legs about 3 inches off the ground.

We also insulated the houses and put vents on each side. We insulated them on all walls, bottom of roof and floor. The insulation can be removed.....it sits between the outside wall and a thin inner wall (which is also removable). We did this so could have two houses in one and use the vents in the summer. Hopefully this helps, or a least gives you some ideas.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

I have made houses just like the two discribed above and my dogs if given a choice will chose the barrel most of the time. People will tell you how uncomfortable the rounded bottom is, but as long as you don't tell the dog, he will love it. Two things to remember when using a barrel, (plastic, not steel) is to make the cradle so that the bottom of the barrel doesn't rest on the ground to avoid ground drafts. Also raise the rear about 2 inches above the front. Drill a hole about 3/4 in diameter in the front bottom. This will allow any moisture that should find a way in to be confined to the front and drain out the hole. Don't cut the entrance to low or your bedding will not stay inside.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:44 AM

I do not have any expreience with the plastic barrels but had always heard that in the winter they would have alot of condensation in them. I built one like you asked for I will get measurements off of it today. The top comes off and you can put a wind baffle in it for winter and remove it for summer so the dog can stretch out.
Scott
Old 03-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

^^^^That's kinda of how ours are. The original plans called for a wind baffel but we opted not to use one. However, we do have removable roofs so we can clean them out easier.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 PM

versdog,
If you don't put a door on the barrel, the condensation is not an issue, at least not in western Oklahoma climate.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:18 AM

Sorry it took so long but here is a website with kennel plans and house plans. http://www.gundoghousedoor.com/artic...nel_design.htm This is very similar to mine. Mine slopes towards the front.

As far as the barrels I am sure they work great down south, but I would hate to have my dog in one with no door when the windchill is -30. like it gets here in N IL sometimes.

Versdog
Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Spike

We used barrels in michigan with a piece of carpet on the front to block the wind. Never had an issue with condensation water gets out of carpet but keeps warmth in. I gaurantee it is warmer than any other dog house as long as there is bedding in there. Michigan gets a lot worse in the winter than illinois and it works fine and is much cheaper than building a dog house.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Built one with a wall made so critter went in door ,turned into hallway to another turn to bed area. goal was to avoid draft from wind. some dogs want a view and ventilation was a problem till modified,frost built up from respiration.
Cedar shavings for bedding and when real cold a flake of hay on top to burrow in. Now a days i crate them in my house at night.

Quick Reply: Dog house plans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.