Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

training pups

Old 03-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Spike

Default training pups

i just got my new lab pup and was wondering at what age i should start training her(she's 9 weeks now)
Old 03-09-2005, 07:50 AM

Default RE: training pups

What do you mean by training? What tape or book are you going to use? These are the questions you need to answer before I can say... Now.

Dr Fatguy
Old 03-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Pre-school" begins the day you bring them home. Then it's on to un-enforced training. At about 5 months or so, you get into enforced training.
BUT , as drfatguy said, you need to be on a modern sequential training program, so I will ask the same question again ---- What training program are you following?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Spike

any suggestions for a book/training program would be welcome
Old 03-09-2005, 09:58 AM

I like James B Spencer's Retriever Training for Meadows and Marshland. I also like the tapes and books by George Hicoxx. I love Mike Pinds tapes, but they are slightly out dated. Find a program you can live with and go for it. Your library might have some training tapes. Labs are the most popular breed so many librarians do stock an assortment of books and tapes.

Dr Fatguy

PS Don't discount Spencer's Hup. Even though it's spaniel training all info can be used to train an excellent retriever.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marshes and Meadows is good, but my favorites are:
1. For a FINE Hunting Companion, it's hard to beat the "10 Minute Retriever", by John and Amy Dahl.
2. For the ULTIMATE Hunting dog as well as a dog that can compete (and do very well) in Field Tests, go with "Smartwork for Retrievers", by Evan Graham. For advanced work, there is also a "Smartwork" (vol 2) -- and if you're going to Force Fetch your dog, there is also "Smartfetch".

If you want to read about the books, go to www.rushcreekpress.com -- if you want to buy the books, go to www.coonriverkennels.com
Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Spike

i appreciate the advice