Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Crates?

Old 02-23-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Crates?

Speaking of safety like in the last post (can't keep dog on property) how many of you use a crate when traveling anywhere whether it's hunting, training, errands etc... or do you just let your dogs run around the back of the truck?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Crates?

i like to use crates. dogs are always to dirty after we hunt. they lay right down and relax in them. takes the worry out of the trip.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:50 AM

I do both. When I am heading out hunting I always use a crate. When I go training or take her training it is hit and miss. If the crate is in the truck already then I will use it if I have to get it out of the garage then I mostlikely will not. If we are going on a trip of any length I use one unless it is just me and the dog going somewhere then I will often times let mine ride in the cab of the truck on the floor. Used to let her on the seat but got tired of tring to get all the little liver colored hairs off the light gry seat!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

My dogs are always in a crate, no matter how short the trip. No exceptions. Anything can happen at any time; I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law.

Bruce
Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

I must admit that I also do both. When useing the hunting truck and am in the field the dogs ride in the club cab and on the long haul or highway they are in the dog kennel boxes.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:16 PM

I do use my crates everytime we go anywhere and I never let them ride freely in the back of the truck. to the crates provide a shelter from the sun, rain and snow and they can't jump out in case they see a cat rabbit, cat, dog or other animals that might entice them. I just don't have to keep looking over my shoulder to see if they are still there.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:21 PM

Dog boxes at all times. The hounds are tought to load up from the time they are big enough to jump that high. Now all I have to do is open the door and they jump straight into the box. They just might ride in the back okay except that I have one that will strike from the box and she would bail out of the truck if she struck.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crated 100% of the time ! ! ! Crates for dogs are like seat belts and airbags for humans.

According to the Vet Med Association, the #1 reason for dogs being injured or killed is riding loose in the back of a truck.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 AM

since i lost my truck when i lost my farm my dogs ride on the blanket in the back seat or in the back of my bronco but i never let my dogs ride in an open bed in the truck to much can happen i also make shure the window in my vahicle is never all the way down so the dog cant fall out
Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 AM

ALWAYS ALWAYS in a box (crate). I have seen and known people who say their dog always liked to be free then had them jump out at highway speed and be so busted up they had to be put down. If you have a dog you don't care about let them loose in the back and nothing will probably ever happen. That being said just remember what was already said about Murphys' Law! In a box they won't be injured as readily when you have to hit the binders in an emergency stop.

Quick Reply: Crates?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.