Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Winter Over Weight

Old 02-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winter Over Weight

My lab really put on the pound's since I've had him fixed, and not working him much all winter. I started this week taking the 4 wheeler out and roding him every evening. We go about 1 1/2 mile's up the mountian, then another 1/12 down the mountian. He get's 3 cup's of Diamond High Energy a day...The wife was giving him table scrap's every evening, but I told her "No More"....is there anything else I sould be doing, and am I running him to much...should I only run him every other day..??
Old 02-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winter Over Weight

Neutered dogs need much less calories, cut back on his food until he begins to loose weight, since you are feeding him 3 cups start by cutting his food to 1 1/2 cups as a starting point.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WAYNE1

1. not working him much all winter.
2. I started this week taking the 4 wheeler out and roding him every evening. We go about 1 1/2 mile's up the mountian, then another 1/12 down the mountian.
3. He get's 3 cup's of Diamond High Energy a day...
4. The wife was giving him table scrap's every evening, but I told her "No More"....
5. is there anything else I should be doing,
6. and am I running him to much...should I only run him every other day..??
1. They need to be worked all the time -- either with hunting or training
2. Excellent !!!!!
3. Maybe cut back 1/2 cup per day.
4. Guess you'll have to spank her until she behaves herself
5. Just remember, Obesity = the intake of more calories than are edxpended -- either feed less -- or exercise more -- or both.
6. As you may remember, I road Casey every day -- rain or shine 365 days a year. Minimum of 4 miles and usually more (depending on the amount of work he has done).
Old 02-19-2005, 07:12 PM

We aquired a coondog a few months ago that was VERY obese. We put her on Purina Fit & Trim and feed her the recommended amount for her size. She lost the weight sooner than we thought. We ran her a couple of night a week, because we were afraid to give her a heart attack. Then when she began to lose the weight, we ran her more often. She looks so much better now!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 AM

One more thing i will ad is change his food. he should only need high energy mix durring hard working months.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TreestandEd

One more thing i will ad is change his food. he should only need high energy mix durring hard working months.
If you want to feed the same AMOUNT of food, you are correct, but it's much easier to keep the dog on the same food and just feed a smaller amount.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 AM

I dont agree, then dog is not getting balanced diet and nutrients it needs.
IMO i would feed qaility food like Diamond Profesional at recomended portions. and then feed a little extra durring hard working months if you need too.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

He get's 3 cup's of Diamond High Energy a day...
TreestandEd....Ya must have missed this part of my post..
Old 02-21-2005, 03:58 PM

Nope your feeding Hi Calorie/fat food designed for energy but your trying to get your dog to lose weight. There is major diference in food formulas we are talking about. A simple change in diet what you need. try diamonds premium adult or there maintenace formula.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a good friend who has a B.S. & M.S. in Molecular Biology. and last year, he received his PhD in Canine Nutrition.

He advises to put a dog on ONE food and ONE FOOD only and leave them on it year around -- he also advises to merely change the amount of food being fed depending on the calorie expenditure of the dog.

Quick Reply: Winter Over Weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.