Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Basset Hounds

Old 02-05-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Basset Hounds

Does anyone still hunt with Basset Hounds?
Old 02-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Basset Hounds

my dad has had bassets since i was a baby. best damn rabbit dogs there is! we just had to say goodbye to Louis, a SERIOUS rabbit huntin basset if there ever was, after 16 years of kick ass service. he was a good dog, pick up a rabbit, run it nice and easy, and circle it back to you nearly everytime. god i shot alot of rabbits over that dog! we're breaking in Sal (about 9 months old) right now. he's a bit more thick headed but will turn out ok with some work. none of our dogs EVER ran a deer, which is important around here.

Basset pros- real smart
-good paced trackers
-intensely loyal
- great noses

cons -too smart!
-stinky
- chew chew chew
-intensly stubborn
-tough to housebreak.

all in all, though, weve had some great luck over the years with ours. very personable dogs and great hunters.

-moose
Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Check out this site: http://www.bassetnet.com/
My dad & grandfather raised and bred hunting bassetts from the mid-40's thru to the early 70's. They had some great rabbit dogs. Although a high percentage of them were useless and sold as pets.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:39 PM

Thanks for all of your info we were mainly getting some ideas for my youngest son, so thanks again for all of the info.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:25 PM

We have a bassett in the house that our 4 yr old put in the starting pen with one of our beagle pups. She knew just what to do, like she had been doing it for years! We have some friends that have beagle/bassetts that run rabbit all day long.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Spike

if its going to be a house dog i would go with a beagle. you will have better odds of turning it into a rabbit dog. i owned a basset one of the best dogs i had ever owned except for two things. it took over a year to house break and loved hunting for treats way more than hunting for rabbits. for hunting you cant beat a beagle. A lot of people have a lot of success with bassets. i will say this you will have a lot more compliments on a good running basset than a good running beagle. you just dont see that many of them that are hunting.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Spike

Beagles are most commonly used for rabbit hunting and they're probably some of the best rabbit hunting breeds of dogs. There's a few people who still hunt with Bassets, but most use Beagles for rabbit hunting.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Spike

This type of hounds are good for hunting but not so efficient. But they fit to this proverb "Something is better than nothing". There is a little bit hurdle to Train them. But once you done it, then you can really enjoy it. One thing is to Care them in efficient manner like in a good quality of Tent/Shelter so that it keeps away the hazards away.

outdoor shelter | FEATURES OF MARQUEES

Last edited by Striker007; 10-07-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Striker007
This type of hounds are good for hunting but not so efficient. But they fit to this proverb "Something is better than nothing". There is a little bit hurdle to Train them. But once you done it, then you can really enjoy it. One thing is to Care them in efficient manner like in a good quality of Tent/Shelter so that it keeps away the hazards away.
How many Bassets you own or have hunted over?

as I thought........

Last edited by Tundra10; 05-13-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
How many Bassets you own or have hunted over?

as I thought........
exactly