Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

basset hound

Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Default basset hound

i just gotbasset hound pup and i was wondering if anybody has any tips on training him to track

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Spike

Default RE: basset hound

That's a real pretty pup. What do you want to train him to track?
This is my 9 month old male Basset pup. I'm training him to track rabbits. He's already running the snowshoe hares pretty well.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 PM

i would like to get him on the trail of coons
Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Spike

Good luck with that. I would suggest getting a coonhound. Basset Hounds, if from hunting stock are rabbit dogs.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM

For coon you would be better off with a coon hound, as they are bred to track coon and will do it more naturally.
I don't know much about basset Hounds But I would think that they would not be as much up for treeing the coon as a coonhound would.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

the best coon dog IMO is a bluetick
Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 PM

i didnt know if it would be possible to train him to tree coons i just hunt them more often than rabbits but does anybody have any tips on training him to track rabbits
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Seif5034

the best coon dog IMO is a bluetick
I think so too. I also like bluetick beagles for rabbits
Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM

When I had beagle for rabbits, I killed a rabbit and let the pups eat it. I was always told that they would get a taste for the rabbit blood and want to run them. Try to livetrap some rabbits when your dog gets older and let them out in front of him and see if he will chase them. I would also suggest putting your pup with dogs that run rabbits, if possible.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I raised beagles for yrs. All you have to do is take them where the rabbits are. If they have it in them (and most do) they'll run. Now whether they hunt /run like you want them to is where the dilemma begins.
Your basset, from what little experiance I've had with them . . .I've owned one and knew others with them . . .should make a good trail dog. I've seen them used for rabbits, deer, and what I may buy one soon for, to use to blood trail deer that have been wounded but did'nt go down. I'm color blind and it's hard for me to spot blood on the ground. Where I hunt mostley it's so thick you can walk right by a down deer and not see him. A basset would be good for this.
The down side of a basset in my opinion (at least with mine) is that they will follow their nose in a direction and for some reason seem not able or just plain don't care to find their way back. Such was the case with mine and I finally lost him.

Quick Reply: basset hound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.