Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

No Nose

Old 08-31-2002, 04:17 PM

Default No Nose

I've got a 2 1/2 yr.old male Lab with a problem. While most other aspects of his hunting and retrieving skills are very strong, he just doesn't seem to have a very good nose. While upland hunting,, he will go through motions of scenting to locate a downed bird but his success rate is dismal. Any ideas for helping him develop his sniffer?
Old 09-01-2002, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Nose

It's possible that your dog just doesn't have a good nose, but it can also be food related (fatty acid levels). What kind of food are ya giving him?

Also, has he been exposed to lots of birds? Have you done any "following a scent trail" training?

Edited by - Doc E on 09/01/2002 08:34:26
Old 09-01-2002, 01:29 PM

Thanks, Doc: He gets Purina High-Pro and the occasional 1/2 can of Alpo mixed in when he's been working hard. I've done a lot of training by hiding scented dummies for him, and even used clipped grouse/duck wings randomly placed in heavy cover. I've seen him sight bird falls all the way to the ground and he still often has difficulty using the 'ol sniffer. He keeps his head down and tears through cover pretty thoroughly, but like I said: His success rate is poor. (luckily, I've got good eyesight) I truly hope he develops better nose because he is a very handsome, healthy, strong, obedient pooch who lives to hunt.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple things to try:
Get a freshly killed bird. Tie the bird to a 10' cord and the other end on the end of a 6' or 8' pole (this helps avoid human scent from contaminating the trail). Drag the bird through cover (with the pole on a side away from your body), untie the bird and leave it at the end of the trail. Start your dog out at the beginning of the drag and give him your "hunt 'em up" command. Let your dog follow the trail to find the bird at the end of the trail. Start easy and make it more and more difficult as your dog progresses. You can also use a frozen bird, but if you do, dip the bird in water before dragging the trail. DO NOT let your dog see you drag the trail.

There has been some decent research on a dog's nose (scenting ability) and fatty acids. Go to your local health food store and pick up either "Fish Oil" capsules or "Flax Seed Oil" capsules (either one is a good source of Omega-3). Give your dog one capsule per day.

Edited by - Doc E on 09/03/2002 09:49:21
Old 09-06-2002, 11:24 AM

Doc: Thanks a million! That not only sounds like a great idea, it sounds like fun. I'll give that technique a go a few times and, if it seems he is still struggling, I'll give the oil caps try, and continue the training.

Edited by - beans morocco on 09/06/2002 12:27:26