Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Keith Nose HP

Old 02-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Keith Nose HP

Iwas just on pr's website and was looking at there selection of bullets,and was very intriged with what they demonstrated with these bullets.I was wondering if any of you have had any experiance with these and what was your opinion with the results you got.Iordered two packs of the 300 grain .45's today to play with next weekendThanks in advance
Old 02-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Keith Nose HP

They work as advertised! That bullet is one of the most underated bullets for those not interested in pass-thrus. In my Omega, it prints about 1-1/2" lower than a Shockwave at 125 yards. It (275 gr) mushroomed without any fragmentation ... a 60 yard shot on a whitetail that busted thru both shoulders.

Like almost all lead bullets, keep the speed sensible (up to 120 gr Pyrodex/105 777). Also.... some Precision bullets leave bore leading with too much speed.... some don't. You can get somewhat similar results buying the T/C Cheapshot 240s for alot less money. You may have to change the plastic sabot for best accuracy with them.... maybe not!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:08 AM

Why would i have to change the sabot?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would i have to change the sabot?
=============================================

They (bullet & sabot) sell for $4.04 for 20 at Midsouthshooterssupply.com

What does that tell you when the average 50-pk of plastic sabots sells for $5.99????????

The T/C-provided plastic sabot for the Cheapshots/Mag Express XTP bullets may have identical visible markings to other brands, but they are obviously cheapened to save on costs. Keep your powder grains to moderate or less... they will be fine... otherwise change them to upscale versions of MMP, Hornady, Knight or Harvester.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:36 AM

I missunderstood,Ithought you were saying i would have to change the sabots on the Keith Nose HP.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot some Keith Nose bullets I bought from Hunterman Boolets and they shot real well. I still have a few more to shoot and want to see just how hard I can push them. I also put them in a good quality sabot and shot them with 100 grains of Goex 3f. The accuracy was very good. I did not get a chance to shoot them at a deer as the deer this year were most uncooperative at showing up when I needed them.

Like Triple Se7en was saying with the T/C Cheap Shots.. they shoot really good but just do not push them too hard. I found around 80 grains of powder and the accuracy from them is outstanding actually....
Old 02-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I missunderstood,Ithought you were saying i would have to change the sabots on the Keith Nose HP
===============================================

You may have to do that too -- should you shoot an overbore Knight rifle. Most PR Bullets come slightly undersized with MMP sabots. Those with Knight rifles sometimes swap the MMPs for Hornadys/Knight plastic sabots.