Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Neuter or Not?

Old 08-23-2002, 12:59 PM

Default RE: Neuter or Not?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Thanks for all the information, I will continue to check back for more. I am going to print this and give to my husband over the weekend, I'll let you know how I make out.
Again, Thank You!
Look at the vets we are getting in here! I would like to thank wvvet and evcvet for there takeing there time to help in this forum, I know it you were close to me i would use y'all for my animals. ,,,,,, Your lab wouldnt be changed at all as to his hunting skills, but some of us men dont like to even think of such things hahahahaha ( its a man thing)I have ALL my hunting dogs that I dont want to breed fixed, It realy helped in keeping the males out hunting when they met up with females that were in heat. (some guys dont watch there females and bring them hunting when they are in heat) Hey wvvet, just had 4 more pups droped off at the house, at least these pups are in good shape for once!

If Hunters Dont Stand Together, We Wont Be Hunters Long!!!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 09-08-2002, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Walker Coon Hound and had him neutered a few days ago due to advice by vet and other people. I was at Woods and Waters show in Imlay City Michigan and was told I should not have had him neutered by a person who raises Walkers and he would have been a great show dog in her opinion. I alway thought he was a mix but she said otherwise and if he is under 27 inches and can tree a coon or some kind of standard the judges use I could have made money studding him. I don't know if I made a mistake or not as I work alot and don't have time to go to shows. Anyway it is done and I still have a gunshy coon hound house pet I can take hunting in the woods with me and my longbow.

Old 09-08-2002, 05:39 PM

Unless you think you have a viable stud on your hands, do it. I've got a 2 1/2 yr. old male Lab who I am trying to stud. He's a very well conformed, healthy dog with a hunting lineage, great temperment and a lot of natural ability, but I'll tell 'ya..much of what I have read above hits home. Marking behavior? This is a 65 lb. dog with a 55 gallon bladder...I should have named him Whizzer instead of Chili. He is a bit aggressive at times but he has never actually fought. His most disturbing habit is mounting some of my 8 year old twin sons' friends when they play in the back yard. I have to lock him in the house when kids are over. So...if any of you have a female Lab you would like to breed, and you're in the Gunnison, CO area, let know. MY DOG NEEDS A DATE!

Edited by - beans morocco on 09/08/2002 18:42:33
Old 09-09-2002, 06:47 AM

Hey Beans, if you think your dog has a 55 gal bladder now and that he is aggressive and horny use him for stud and then watch. He will really get the idea that he is the worlds most Macho. You can easily break him of mounting kids and other dogs. When I see one of my dogs mount something other than a bitch I say &quot;NO&quot; and if he does not listen and he won't I get out a fly swatter and give him a slap on the butt and say no again. If you do it right at the moment he mounts he will get the idea. Then keep your eye on him and when he goes to sniff just before he mounts you can say &quot;NO&quot; and if he has any smarts and will to please he will stop.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:12 PM

Yeah, that sounds better than my last-ditch thought...I was going to put the bark collar with the manual initiation switch around his, um....&quot;privates&quot; OUCH!!!! (just kidding)
Old 10-23-2002, 12:47 PM

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to thank eveyone for their advise on this issue. My Lab (Mike) is at the vets as I type, yep, he's Neutered. YEE HAW!
Thanks Again!!!!!!