Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

heated water dishes?

Old 12-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default heated water dishes?

I have two bloodhounds an am having a no luck in finding a heated dish that holds enough water for the both of them. I've got a dish that took care of my oldest hound last year, but I've got two hounds now and the dish I have just don't hold enough water for the both of them. Anyone know where to find a bigger one, maybe a couple gallons or more? Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: heated water dishes?

I saw a home made water bucket that is what you want.
He took a galvinised bucket wraped the outside with a heattape with a thermostate controll and placed it into a larger tub with a hole for the cord that was insulated with spray in foam insulation .
You could make it as large as you want
Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 AM

They make an eliment that drops into a bucket and they make them for diffrent sized buckets I would try a farm supply store if you have one near you. they should have something there that will work
Old 12-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. I may try the heat tape, but the element that drops in the water is out of the question. My dogs are kind of destructive of anything that they think don't belong in their kennel.lol I put a swinging door on my older hounds house last winter to break the wind a little and when I got from work that night, he'd chewed the door off the hinges and had it pushed under the gate. I guess he didn't like it.lol
Old 12-16-2004, 08:40 AM

Don't you love it when they get the urge to remodel the kennel. I like that heat tape and galvanized thought.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:03 PM

Get yourself a 10 gal washtub from a farmer's supply store and then get a livestock tank heater and put it in. You don't want hot water and this thing can be set at around 45 degrees which optimum for winter water.