Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Winter Bird hunting

Old 12-14-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Winter Bird hunting

I have a pheasant hunt scheduled for this weekend at a local preserve and the place has recieved significant snow over the past 2 days. I am hunting with a 14 month old lab. Should I be concerned about his paws getting frost bite? It's too late to try to get him used to boots. The hunt should last about 4 hours or until we find all the birds. Any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:18 AM

Default RE: Winter Bird hunting

i dont think it will be a problem at all. where are you hunting? how cold will it be? 4 hours isnt that long. labs have a very warm coat and he/she shouldnt even notice it under normal circumstances. i have a GSP and they have very little coat at all and we take him in the snow all day long and he never has a problem as long as he's moving. when hu8nting, a dog works up so much heat that they rarely get cold, but then again maybe y'r hunting in -30 degrees in north dakota?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 AM

I didn't think it would be an issue, but was looking for a second opinion from someone who may know more. We are hunting in SouthWestern PA. Temps have dropped to highs around middle 30's and lows of mid 20's. Friends, not hunters were telling me to be careful that his paws don't get frostbite. I felt that by all the running would help keep them from getting frostbite.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just check the dogs paws for ice cuts and ice between the toes.
Hard packed icey snow can cut the pads and ice buildup between the toes causes pain.
Have fun
Old 12-22-2004, 11:18 AM

Hogan,

I have a lab, and I hunt in Iowa, she has been out 5 of the last 7 days, in blistering winds and below 0 windchill, and has never shown signs of trouble, she is always begging and excited the next day when I start getting out the hunting gear. The snow pack may cause some minor cuts, but if it's paws are used to the abuse of hunting it shouldn't be a major problem. Good Luck, I always love to hunt in the snow!