Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pointing Labrador

Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pointing Labrador

After doing quite a bit of research on what kind of dog would be good for our family and to hunt with, I found this "breed" which is more common in the midwest.

It seems that they took purebred labs with the natural ability to point as well as retrieve and bred them together. What you get, apparently, is a dog that does well indoors and with little kids, retrieves, but also points like the more specialized pointer breeds - basically a bird, duck, and rabbit hunter all-in-one.

Have you guys ever heard of this or does anyone currently own one? Our pup is ready one week before Xmas and I'll be Indiana bound for a couple days......
Old 11-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pointing Labrador

Look right down below at the thread titled 'pointing labs'
Old 11-21-2004, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Is that a "yes" DocE? I saw that original post but posted mine because I think alot of people here would appreciate their traits and the fact that they make good house pets too.

I figured I'd post some links I found useful in my search for the pointer pup. If these are already known ignore them, but these sites helped put me in a position to ask about specific dogs in the pup's pedigree and double check what the breeder was saying. The first link may be useful to all dog buyers, the second only to pointer people:

http://www.offa.org/

http://www.limecreek.com/pointinglabs/ (this database is a little out of date, but still contains alot of good info)
Old 11-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mrfritz44
Have you guys ever heard of this or does anyone currently own one?

Yes and yes.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Being from Washington, you didn't get your dog from Tiger Mountian did you Doc?
Old 11-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope - I got him from Black Forest Kennels (Colorado).
Casey boy has his own website if you want, you can check him out at www.pointinglabcasey.itgo.com
Old 11-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Now by "", do you mean that I'm an idiot and should have seen your championship canine's website link from the previous post, or does your dog have some sort of rare canine macular condition? You've got me concerned that I may be either truly retarded and should seek counseling or that pointer labs have medical problems that I should be aware of. Please clarify.

Thanks,

Fritz

PS: Beautiful dog btw.......and I'm being serious.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mrfritz44

Now by "", do you mean that I'm an idiot
Thanks,

Fritz

PS: Beautiful dog btw.......and I'm being serious.
Nope -- it means that he made the whole website all by himself -- although I did have to help him on some of the spelling and because he has no thumbs (no dew claws), he sometimes missed the space bar.

You gonna luv your new PL.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I'm definately looking forward to him. Any tips besides, "buy the book" are more than welcome. I had never even considered a dog like this until I researched a little. I'm looking for anything that'll help me not screw him up. The potential this dog has is exciting.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely get the Knutsion book (The PL Bible). In addition, I'd also suggest you get "Smartwork for Retrievers" by Evan Graham. The Knutson book covers basically all you'll need to know about the pointing aspects, but it's weak (compared to the Graham book) in the other aspects of a Retriever that also Points.

If you are just going to have a "Meat Dawg" (Dandy Good Hunting Companion), Smartwork (vol. I) will suffice. If, however, you want the ultimate Lab that Points, you might want to also consider "Smartwork" vol II. If you're going to Force Fetch (I'd recommend it), also get the Graham book titled "Smartfetch".

Quick Reply: Pointing Labrador

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.