Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

pointers or flushers

Old 10-22-2004, 05:37 PM

Default pointers or flushers

Hello, what is better for upland and waterfowl, pointer or retriever. I was thinking of our family getting a small munsterlander, do you have any info on the munsterlander?

thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 05:56 PM

Default RE: pointers or flushers

Too many varibles to give a complete answer. Where do you live and/or plan to hunt? What type of water do you plan to hunt waterfowl in? I know of many breeds of dogs -- pointer, flusher and retriever -- that do double duty, but the situations are conducive to the dog being used. In other words, a Britt will retrieve ducks, but I wouldn't use one in ND on the Missouri in the dead of winter. I'd say, to be on the safe side, a Lab would be a good all-around choice and some of them do point.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:58 PM

There are many things to consider but the most important is that flushers usually are good for the people who are quick at draw and shoot, and pointer are for people who prefer to shoot at their own pace. Secondly what type of hunting grounds you have some are good for flushers and other are good for pointers. But I suppose if the dog does both flushes and points, according to the situation that is good, and most of the dogs do both.
I am sory I don't know any thing about munsterlanders.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:12 PM

I am a firm believer that pointing dogs have a much better nose than a flushing breed. However, how much waterfowling are you going to do? What upland game do you spend the most time on. If I had to settle on a flushing dog and pheasants were the upland bird, then it is a no contest, the Springer Spaniel by all odds.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:42 PM

Depends on what you hunt mostly and where you hunt mostly. IF you junt mostly uplands in open cover like wheat stubble, and waterfowl occiasonally, get a pointing dog.

If you live for the coldest ickiest wettest duck days, get a retriever. For all around everything, get a german wirehaired pointer. Ugliest damned dog around, but what they lack in looks, they make up for everywhere else.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Havelockspartacus

I am a firm believer that pointing dogs have a much better nose than a flushing breed.
What has you believing this?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:20 AM

How many pointers do you see sniffing drugs or bombs or arson scenes? Or looking for drowning victims? Retrievers have been used for all, especially the drowning victims, that's right smelling through the water. Now I'll give you that pointers will hunt with their head held high to scent wind and I hunt over GSP who execute this with ease and grace. Every now and the the fella who keeps GSP that I help train ends up with a pup who loves to retrieve and have seen 2 in roughly 60 pups that like water retrieves but its not the normal. My Chessie has learned to point on occasion but its not her norm. Whose to say which nose is better.A wirehaired would probably fit the bill for your hunting. I know zero about the Munsterlander but wouldn't rule them out at all as they are a do-all breed from what I've read.

As far as a family dog you probably couldn't go wrong with a lab. If you can find a solid Golden Retriever kennel that breeds hunting stock this breed could also excel at home and in the field. The GSP i've hunted don't strike me as real family dogs although I'm sure they wouldn't be incompatible. My Chessie does well with the family but I've heard that they can be a bad choice around little ones.
I'm intrigued with wirehairs and may own one at some point, they are UGLI but the ones I have seen are true hunters. Troutdudes you made mention a while back about Pheasant hunting. Did you do well? Is that why your looking for a dog?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:55 AM

The washington Sate ferry system has a Visula, a GSP, and lab that do all the drug, bomb, and flamible material finding....

Perhaps you should rethink your stance on pointers not doing that sort of work and not having good noses....
Old 10-27-2004, 02:39 PM

Ladybryd,

You are correct that some pointing breeds are used as you stated, but it is a very small lot. Actually, the main reason pointers are not used has nothing to do with their olfactory ability. There are just not as laid back as the retrieving breeds. However, I think most would agree that retrievers do have the better nose.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:22 PM

You asked about the Munsterlander...
I have only seen a few, and did a bit of diggin online for you. They originated in Germany and have been predominatly breed for hunting instead of showing (thank goodness) They point well, but the pointing instinct developes a lot later than most pointing breeds. They work well for pointing and retriving downed birds like phesant and such. I couldn't find much about their use as duck dogs. They do have think fluffy fur and stay warm well in cold weather. But unlike the chessie or lab their fur is not water resistant and in cold weather can freese and form ice in their coat. Also they are very likely to pick up burs and matted fur from dense cover similar to what a britney would pick up. The large Munsterlander is about the same size as a lab... I don't know about the small one. If you want more information on the breed you may check the AKC.

Good Luck!

(Oh and I used to think my lab had a GREAT nose until I got my GSP. So I don't agree that retivers have better noses. But I can absolutly agree that they are calmer )

Quick Reply: pointers or flushers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.