Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Pheasant roosters in training >

Pheasant roosters in training

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pheasant roosters in training

Old 09-20-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Pheasant roosters in training

I am fairly new to bird hunting. Wich makes it a little tough training my GSP. I guess you could say we are learning together. Anyway I have had her out in training with planted chucker, pigeon, and pheasent hens several times. I usualy use the Cooke Canyon hunt club in WA. I am going to be moving to a harder feild next time where they plant birds ahead of time and you have your own 80 acres. I had been going out on 40 acres and dizzying about 5 at a time and planting them then putting her in the general area and letting her find them.

Ok here is my question... how to pheasent roosters differ from hens as far as hunting them goes. I have heard that are more likely to flush when a dog approaches instead of letting them get a god long point ect. Also is that true that they can be much more aggressive? I havn't hunted roosters and my dog hasn't been a round them. Would you recomend hobbling one first and letting her get on it so it can't run just walk and fly and let her find a few before going out and hunting them?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Pheasant roosters in training

My opinion is that a bird is a bird. If your dog is doing what you want on the planted birds, using a rooster won't make a difference.

As for hunting roosters, yes, they are much different than hens. I've had them hold for my dogs -- and I use Chessies -- run for the horizon and flush wildly. Roosters do what ever it takes and they can change from one day to the next. That's why everyone has a love-affair with them.

Not sure I would hobble one. If the rooster spurs the dog in a controlled enviornment, it could cause other problems. I would continue exposing the dog to game birds and when the time comes -- season opener -- let the dog do what it has learned from your training. It should all come together whether you used roosters, sharptails, woodcock or pigeons. Like I said, a bird is a bird and I've never had to expose my dogs to a particular bird before hunting them.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 AM

Default RE: Pheasant roosters in training

Thank you! That is pretty much what I was looking to hear. The place I hunt at is open Aug 1st through March 31st. So you could say we are under way. Thank for the advice.