Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

puppy up to early

Old 06-20-2004, 09:17 PM

Default puppy up to early

My puppy is waking up 5.30 in the morning. What could i do to make it later? Is it cause hes hungry, because I feed him as soon as he wakes up. I run him and everything before bed too.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:18 PM

Default RE: puppy up to early

Pups just wake up early. He probably needs to go outside and take a leak. Running him at night is good for wearing him out, but his bladder is still really small. My cur pup did the same thing at first, then I just started keeping him in his outside dog run at night so he could go when he wanted and not wake me up. Sleep is too precious!! If you don't want to let him sleep outside, try your hardest to let him stay up as late as possible and schedule it to wear he'll need to pee right before bedtime...usually for young pups its about every 45 minutes to an hour. Get your schedule down to wear he needs to go right before he goes to bed, and maybe that will help him sleep a little longer. Good luck
-Mike-
Old 06-21-2004, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jake is waking us up only a couple of times a night now, when we first got him , it was several times.....he'll get used to the rituals you have for him....
Old 06-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

My puppy is also up around the same time. That is when the birds start calling outside. No real cure for it around here anyway except maybe put her in an inside room. But once those birds start chiping and she hears it, forget it. BTW she is a 5 month old English Springer.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:30 PM

that's something you have to deal with, i remember getting up every 2 hours to let the dog out to take a leak. as they get older and are housebroke you won't have to rush to get him outside. my dog is up at 5:30 every morning but i try to make him wait a little while before i let him out, i have noticed that he is sleeping a little longer now so most mornings he doesn't start pacing until 6:00 or so.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:53 PM

My pup is always up before 5 am and I just deal with it. I hate it, but hey what can you do?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the negatives about having pups, i dont know what you can do about it except let it sleep outside. With age the dog will sleep longer.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Pups is almost 1 year now, and I still get up at 5:00-6:00am every morning to let him out. - He will go back and lay down no so most mornings I go back to bed for about an hour - It remings me of when my kids were the same age!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:29 AM

My pup from the time he was three months old til now is sleeping in a cage. We take him out before going to bed around 9 to 10 and we take him out in the morning when we get up. That maybe 6 to 8 AM. He has never made a fuss to get out but if he did I would stall him and try to get him to be still later each morning. A cage is the answer or put him out in a run.

Ezzy
Old 07-31-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We had to let ours out every three or four hours for the first couple weeks. Then it got worse!!! She was waking us up every hour. Found out we got a bad bag of puppy chow. Glad those days are over. Now she sometimes gets me up a few minutes before the alarm goes off. No big deal. She is 1 1/2 years old now.