Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 My new Original Mountain Cur squirrel hunting pup pic >

My new Original Mountain Cur squirrel hunting pup pic

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

My new Original Mountain Cur squirrel hunting pup pic

Old 06-05-2004, 03:57 PM

Default My new Original Mountain Cur squirrel hunting pup pic

Here is a pic of my new squirrel hunting dog, Ole Remington Classic, or Rem. He is a 12 week old Original Mountain Cur. These are versatile hunters used on squirrel, coon, hogs, big cats and bears, I've even heard of a cur that would point quail, but this pup's line is particularly strong on the tree. Any other cur owners? If any of you know squirrel dogs, his grandparents on one side are Jr. Jukebox and Streak's Hannah, and on the other side is Nash Rambler and Yankee Doodle Dandy. Theses crosses have produced great pups, so we'll see how a grandson out of them does! He comes from a strong line of treedogs, so he should turn out well, but he's my first mountain cur and my first hunting dog effort, so I'll have to learn with him.
He's got strong coon hunting in his line, too, but I'll keep him off those as I don't know exactly what to do with a dead coon. Now that he's 12 weeks he just needs woods time and some exposure to squirrels, and he should come along fine with the genes he has. I'll probably work him on one or maybe two caged squirrels, but no more than that. Thanks for looking

Old 06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My new Original Mountain Cur squirrel hunting pup pic

Mountain curs are indeed versatile dogs. Ive heard of all the bloodlines you mentioned. That streak blood is great at producing squirrel dogs. Did you get him in Missouri?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:22 AM

I didn't get 'em in Missouri, I actually got him hear in Oklahoma, but his parents came from Missouri for sure!! I hope he turns out as well as some of his blood has.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best of luck to ya, just walk'em in the woods with game thats how i started my feist i had before. They learn on there own, just dont expect a ton from a pup. If your ever interested in some good feist blood contact Sam allar in Mcalester. I had 2 out of his Allars Fred dog start on there own and where nice.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:02 PM

great lookin pup! i hunt a feist, walker dog, and a blackmouth cur out of the ben line.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:16 PM

great looking pup,congrats.
hope he turnd out the way you want.I love to hunt squrrels with a good dog.it has been many , many years since I have been behind a good tree dog.