Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 wanting dry ground lion hound or info >

wanting dry ground lion hound or info

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

wanting dry ground lion hound or info

Old 05-20-2004, 09:18 PM

Default wanting dry ground lion hound or info

I have been predator hunting for some time now in Texas. I have done some coon hunting with hounds and enjoy this but I have always been interested in lion hunting with dogs. If I wanted to get some dogs to train myself where could I get more info or who would be a person to contact in regards to this and training them also what breed is best for this any info would be a big help.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:15 AM

Default RE: wanting dry ground lion hound or info

i too found mountain lion hunting fascinating,in va. we dont have any,so the best thing for me was just to call a couple a lion hunters and just talk to them and ask questions,get your hands on an issue of Full Cry magazine,theres plenty of people in there.from what ive been told if you have a dog that will tree some sort of critter, your half way there. I talked to guy a few years back about huntin lions in british columbia,and he said if i wanted to bring my coon hounds he would send me a couple of bottles of lion pee to work my dogs with before i came.as far as dogs go i'm a little partial to walkers myself but any hound would be ok,bluetick,redbone,plott,black-n-tan,ect.theres also a fellow in new mexico,that ive heard is one of the best lion hunters there is,i cant think of his name but if i do ill let you know,good luck
Old 05-22-2004, 08:12 PM

I did a google search and typed in "dry ground mountain lion hound. A lot of info came up. I didn't bother going through it all or save anything for you cuz I thought you would like to do it for yourself for the fun of it. You might want to have that adventure and see what all pops up. Have fun and good luck!!

critch
Old 05-22-2004, 10:52 PM

any hound will work just like vacoonhunter said........i like walkers..........it should not be hard to find info on lion hunting...good luck
Old 06-05-2004, 03:15 PM

I have done a little reading on this subject, but have never tried it personally. (We dont have a lot of lions in north Georgia.) From what I have read it seems that Plotts and Blueticks are the most popular, but most tree hounds should be okay.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:45 PM

Hey there,
I just got a mountain cur pup, and they are strong tree dogs and strong at baying. I know of some people whose curs regulary tree bears, and another guy here in OK has his kemmer curs treeing bobcats. I'm sure there are guys that get their curs on big cats. There are several different strains, too. original mountain cur, blackmouth cur, kemmer cur, stephens cur, many more. Check out sqdog.com and take a look at the "forums" section to learn about curs. Then maybe you can see what you like and dislike. Hounds are probably great, too, but don't X out the cur, yet, as they are truly an american breed with all kinds of qualities. FYI, "OLD YELLER" was the story of a cur!!