Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Blood Hounds

Old 05-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Spike

Default Blood Hounds

I have had dogs all of my life, mostly Jack Russels and Rat Terriers. I currently don't have any dogs, but I am interested in getting a blood hound. I was wondering if anyone could tell me from experience pro's and con's of this dog. I have a large fenced in yard that the dog could roam in, so space is not a real issue.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Blood Hounds

Hey Doe Killer,

Blood Hounds are pretty cool. well to me anyways.. They can track really good... They are kinda big and eat alot...... lmao ... but who doesn't... I think they are really cool and I'm getting me another one...
Old 05-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Typical Buck

I've got two of them and to me the only con I have is they have a short life-span.(10-12yrs) But some things to keep in mind. They're bred to not give up and can be very hard-headed, slobber alot, and eat like a horse!! But other than that, their awesome dogs!! Very loyal, love everybody and have the best voice you've ever heard!! A BIG misconception is that they're lazy and just lay around. Don't belive that crap for a minute!! My two are hell on wheels!!lol Here's a pic of my hounds. The one of the left is Quincy and the other is Gus, Q's younger brother.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i knnow my Branddee was a pistol......she was a very loyal dog cept when it came to smells, she was on her way if i wanted to go or not......she escaped through the electric fence, didnt phase her.....she was always wanting to run, play.......she would do almost anything she was taught, she was so smart.......a handful though.....i would do it again in a heartbeat.....we did everything together, scouting , fishing, just hanging out.......she was the love of my life....i would go get all the imfo. on bloodhounds i can get before you get one.....thay need more love, time, food, everything ..lol....
Old 05-31-2004, 08:59 PM

Doe Killer, as posted Huntnma says, bloodhounds need more of EVERYTHING! Food, water, space, love, attention, energy, ruined clothes, ruined yard......
However, they are very loyal and loving and are good with older kids. Too big and energetic for small kids though (unless your kid is a lot tougher than mine). They are very large dogs if you haven't seen any in person, a big male can go over 100 pounds easy. They can look intimidating, but they are more likely to drown you in slobber than bite you. And they really do slobber a lot.
Whatever you do, I would recommend you go and visit a breeder or at least a current owner to get a feel for them before you commit to a puppy. Best of luck.