Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 The best dog food for my GSP >

The best dog food for my GSP

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

The best dog food for my GSP

Old 01-24-2004, 11:26 PM

Default The best dog food for my GSP

Fellow Hunters,
I just picked up a 12 week old German Shorthair and I was looking for some advice on dog food. The breeder has him on Nutro Max Puppy. It seems like everyone I ask gives me different advice. I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know what brand they have had the most success with.
Thank you in advance.

Jonny
Old 01-25-2004, 08:59 AM

Default RE: The best dog food for my GSP

JonnyP...congratulations on your new pup!! I favor this breed as well. As far as dog food goes...there are many good ones to choose from. Just make sure it is a "premium" food..such as Diamond, Proplan, Eagle Pak, Premium Edge, Black Gold, etc. Also...make sure the protein/fat is about 30/20. Most of the feeds I mentioned have the omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for a great skin and coat. I personally, would not feed any dog food which did not contain these ingredients.

It's not rocket science...just go with a true "premium" and all will be well.

Good luck with your pup!!!

Rick
Old 01-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because your pup is only 12 weeks old, you want to have him on "puppy food" until his growth is nearly complete (9 to 12 months).

I'm sold on Eagle Pack, but you can do some research on your own by going to the 'dog food comparison charts' at www.doberdogs.com
Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Jonny - Absolutely nothing wrong with the Nutro Max Puppy the breeder was feeding him...pretty darn good stuff. Any of the others mentioned are fine, as well as a couple of dozen more. If the Nutro Max is readily available, there is no need to change.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. We took him to the vet for his next set of vaccinations today and I asked the vet the same question. I was suprised when he listed a few of the big names (Eukanuba, Hills, Iams) concluded with Kibbles and Bits!!! It was my understanding that Kibbles and Bits is NOT a premium food. I also asked him what is the optimum protein and fat ratios to look for. His response was, "Ignore that stuff.... I saw a nutritional breakdown done on a hiking boot one time and it looked pretty good, too". When I asked him about training with an E-collar, and he responded, "What's an E-Collar.... Oh, a shock collar", I decided that I will be looking for a new vet for my new best freind. Anyways, I appreciate the advice and The Nuro Max seems to be working fine so I will stick with it.
Good Luck and Good Hunting,
Jonny P
Old 01-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd definitely go along with yor decision to get a new Vet. Sometimes it's difficult to do, but if you can find a Vet that has a hard working hunting dog, it'll be likely to help.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:25 PM

I have a DK and feed Proplan but any quality food will work. I feed my dog this is because the breeder feed the dog this. The thing about high qualityfood is the consistency of ingredence. The cheap foods change percents of ingredences depending on price so if beef product is expensive they will increase percent of something cheaper but keep it within the certain precentage range. The high end dog foods keep a consistant percentage for each ingredence so if the cost goes up the quality stays the same. This is important because you know you pooch isn't getting alot of fillers. It also helps if your dog has stomach issues.

Good luck with you GSP