Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How do you guy's find the time? >

How do you guy's find the time?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How do you guy's find the time?

Old 01-22-2004, 11:31 AM

Default How do you guy's find the time?

I want a dog! I have a three year old daughter. How do I spend enough time with the dog to train it well and still have time for my daughter? Granted when I am training the dog my daughter will be right there with me. This may make a tough situation (training) tougher (lack of attention from the dog directly to me).

I want a white lab! How can I convince my wife that I can keep the coat (fir) of the lab clean? She want's a Golden Retriever! I tell her the hair is longer and is moreb likely to shed more compared to the lab.

Is a white lab high maintenance for a good clean coat? Anyone with picture?

Dog's by nature are very hyper when they are young. What is the best way to train them to be lazy at young ages? Reason's I want the dog to be an inside pet, but large dogs can be tough inside when they are hyper all the time.

Your advise please!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:51 PM

Default RE: How do you guy's find the time?

As far as finding the time to train a lab as well as spending time with the kids, you are on your own with that one

As far as keeping the coat clean, DAILY brushing will help DRAMATICALY!!! A golden compared to a lab does indeed have longer hair and will pick up odors for a longer period of time. As far as shedding, neither has a greatertendency" to shed than the other, just with the longer hair, sheding from the Golden will be more noticeable. Ocassionally I will watch my cousins Golden for a weekend and when I take the Golden and my lab swimming, the Golden REEKS o high heaven and takes much longer to dry off...another selling point!!

Labs are not necessarily "high maintenance" dogs. Per your request, here is a pic of my yellow (white?) Lab, Rose:

There is no way to "teach a pup to be lazy". High energy exertion followed by "crash and burn" so to speak is what being a puppy is all about. Try to give pup PLENTY of exercise outside daily and he MAY be more apt to take it easy in the house. Kennel train when inside as a pup and it will make the going easier, but he may still choose to do what pups do best and terrorize the house!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:08 PM

i have a yellow "white" lab 18mos old and dont really have a problem with keeping his coat clean, in the spring summer and fall he gets a lot of time in the water then usually a hosing off before he comes back into the house.

there is no way to teach a pup to be lazy but daily exercise, especially in the morning and afternoon should make the pup content most of the time.

if the dog sleeps outside use straw as bedding it helps keep their coats clean and odor free, just remember to replace the bedding every couple mos
Old 01-22-2004, 02:02 PM

The dog will be outside only during working hours. Thanks for the tips.

What if anything can you feed them to keep them from smelling bad? I heard odors are caused by food and maybe other things than just being outside?
Old 01-23-2004, 05:12 AM

I feed my 2 black labs kibbles and bits. It is not a high caliber food and creates a lot of waste. It is the only food my older dog will eat. Labs generally smell after getting in the water, however the smell goes away as the dow dries off. To keep them clean, brush them regularly. Do not bathe them. It removes the oils in thier coat that are essential for good coat health. A good brushing will help remove shedding hair as well as keep them shiny.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:36 PM

I own a white lab and surprisingly her coat is easier to keep clean than that of my grandpa's black lab. It is all in what you feed the dog. where are you located? I might give you a good breeder for what your looking for.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:34 AM

in Houston Texas
Old 01-27-2004, 07:14 PM

If you have 10 minutes a day you have the time......consistency and a good formal training program is the key!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:41 PM

YOU HAVE TO MAKE TIME, I THINK MOST PEOPLE WATCH TO MUCH TV, AS FAR AS CONVINCING YOUR WIFE THAT YOU CAN KEEP A LIGHT YELLOW "WHITE" LAB CLEAN ALL I CAN SAY IS IF YOU WANT A DOG BAD ENOUGH AND YOU HAVE A SOLID MARRIGE ,LIE, LIE THROUGH YOURE TEETH THE PAIN YOU SUFFER IN THE SHORT TERM WILL BE MADE UP BY THE PLEASURE YOULL GET WITH A LAB. AS FOR A GOLDEN ,IN MY OPINION ,OVER MY DEAD BODY !
Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 AM

Well I ended up getting my lab. His name is Koda his picture is below.

Jason

Quick Reply: How do you guy's find the time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.