Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Your dog' coat.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Your dog' coat.

How do you all get your dogs coat to be nice an' shiny? My 2 year old yellow labs is tough and kinda greasy. Am i giving him the wrong food, or what?

So whats your secret?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Your dog' coat.

Is your dog an inside ou outside dog? Labs that live in an outdoor kennel tend to get a "tougher, oilier" coat. What do you feed him/her? My 3 3/4 year old lab is an inside dog and gets fed Pro-Plan. She occasionally gets some bacon grease mixed in with her a.m. meal. Her coat is silky sift, shiny and very vibrant. Hope this helps.
YLM
Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 AM

Idaho...try "Diamond Professional Blend" 30/20 There are many good feeds out there..and I've tried them all. This feed has been the best for my shorthairs bar none. You can find it at most feed stores or locate a dealer off their website: diamondpetfoods.com Give the food two weeks..and you will be amazed!!

Good luck,

Rick
Old 01-18-2004, 01:47 PM

Thank you. My dog is a inside/outside dog. He spends his time outside when we are at school/work, and comes in when we get home.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:10 PM

put eggs on his food. give him a lot of "good" oils and such. works like a charm.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:10 PM

P.S. my dog is an indoor lab as well.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:39 AM

I feed all my dogs the dogs in the kennel and my inside dog Old Roy from wal-mart,and when the grease from our kitchen get to have a lot of particals in it we feed it to the dogs,also we cook a lot of fish at the camp and in the woods. the dogs get "ALL" of the fish grease , a couple pf cups a day with there feed.

they all are slick and shinny !!!! it works for me ; try it!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:56 PM

We feed our dog Ol Roy,our german shepherd is a store level winner for the 2003 Ol'Roy Dog of the Year Photo\Essay Contest and he has a beautiful coat. My boy shows him in the 4-H dog shows and he has won several blue ribbons.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:50 AM

i wouldnt think giving a dog bacon grease or kitchen grease would be a good idea to clean up a greasy coat, nor would it be healthy for the dog. what kind of food are you giving the dog now, and how often if at all do you bathe the dog??

i have an 18 month old who gets Dogchow wth alpo can food mixed in, gets a bath every month or so and is inside at night only, gets lotsa exercise, try to take him to the woods 3-4 times a week and every now and then just let him run loose by himself, feel sorry because he is tied up a good portion of each day. work etc; has a great coat!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:53 AM

You can go the food route being recommended, or you can institute a program of brushing, which will improve coat and skin condition every time, or both.

Quick Reply: Your dog' coat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.