Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Your dog' coat.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Your dog' coat.

I have been raiseing dogs for the past 35 years and hunt them every day durning the season.

that being said ; all my dogs are shinie,slick,and as healthy as any dog can be.they get checked by the vet regular and come away with a clean bill of health.

I would never do anything that is not good for my dogs.the vet says the grease will not harm them at all.any dry bag feed you can buy has a certan amount of grease in it.

I have not lost a dog because of any health problems.all of the ones that I have lost was becouse of pure old age.they were form 12 to 14 years old.so I don't think fish or bacon grease hurts them.JMHO.

I lost one dog this year that had a problem with his back,not from any feed I gave him.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM

I use a product called Missing Link. Supplements your dogs diet with the good fats that most dog foods lack. It also has glucosomine for his joints. Highly recommended.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:15 PM

Do not wash the dog. Many people think this will help. Washing the dog will remove the oils essential for water repellancy. I brush my Labs and highly recommend it. We do not use a high priced food. We swim them in natural waters and people just keep going on about their coats.

OhioDuckHunter
Old 01-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My black lab has the opposite problem right now. He's a bit dandruffy, but I think it's because of the dry heat of the house. Other than that he has a beautiful shiney sleek coat. Maybe Nitro will get some eggs tomorrow.