Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Vizsla?

Old 12-19-2003, 12:51 PM

Default Vizsla?

Hello I am new to this forum and could use a little advice. I am in the military stationed in AZ but within 3 months will be returning to southern Illinois where I am from originally. I grew up hunting mainly over my dad's brittany's. Shortly I plan on purchasing my first gun dog who will also be a house dog. I plan on hunting primaraly quail but it is possible I will be traveling north a couple times a year to hunt ringnecks. Tracking ability and waterfowl hunting don't concern me. We hunt quail 95% of the time. Having hunted only over brits, labs and gsp's I am looking for someone who has first hand experience hunting/owning vizla's. I decided to look into vizsla because I wanted a little larger and heartier dog than our female britts and my wife thinks they are "cute". I want a dog that has good nose and is somewhat easy to train like a brit or gsp. Any advice you could give me would be great.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:56 PM

Default RE: Vizsla?

Hank_612,

I have a 3.5 year old vizsla and it's turned into the best hunting dog I've ever had. Great hunter and an excellent pet. Feel free to email me with any questions you might have.

Cooper
Old 12-19-2003, 01:05 PM

Thanks cooper. I was curious about any strange issues you might have had in during training. Also about housebreaking and whether they tend to be overly destructive. One more ? Do you know of any Vizsla clubs in IL? Thanks Coop.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:24 PM

Vizsla's need exercise and attention, I run mine at least an hour a day with yard training mixed in as well. For safety reasons, I always kennel the dog when left at home, just piece of mind to know they can't get into everything. If they aren't given proper attention/exercise, they can get into trouble. As is true with any puppy, they do get into their fair share of trouble.

Training wise, they are very intellegent dogs and pick up quickly, but it's consistant repitition that is needed to ensure a great hunting dog.

There is a Vizsla Club here in Illinois, mostly focused around the Chicagoland, there is also the Illinois Upland Championship Series (www.illinoisupland.com) there are some Vizsla's entered into the competition which is totally hunting focused....might want to check it out.

Cooper
Old 01-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

my buddy/neighbor has vizslas, and is trying to start his own kennel. they are great dogs, although they don't seem to be as concerned about their owner as a brit. i have brits, and i think my next dog will be a vizsla. better motor than a brit.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:04 PM

I have hunted for years with a guy that uses Vizslas and are GREAT dogs!!! They have a nose you can't beat, usually stay fairly close rather than running 2 miles ahead and hoping you can find them when they point, like Shorthairs. I won't hesitate at all to get a Vizsla. Also make great house companions!!!!!