Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

German Shepherd

Old 12-19-2003, 11:12 AM

Default German Shepherd

Strange question, I know, But, i have a german shepherd.. She is about 4 years old and i want to train her for blood trailing, Do you think there's any hope?
Old 12-19-2003, 03:51 PM

Default RE: German Shepherd

Why sure!!! Shepards are one of the prefered breeds in rescue...which simply.. is locating by scent. All breeds of dogs have about the same ability to scent game. Some breeds are just easier to train for specifics than others. You should be able to accomplish your goal if you can find some instruction in writing..or video..on how to do it.

Good luck,

Rick
Old 12-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

MossyOak, I have a 6 y/o german shepard (Boone) that has picked up just about anything I have ever tried to teach him. Rolling over is the only exception. I bring him pheasant hunting with me, no, he doesn't retrieve for crap, but he loves to be an extra pusher and will stay between 2 people and flush birds that he smells. I bring him elk hunting and use him as a pack mule. I've also trained him to find metal ammo boxes for when we are out geocaching.

I have no doubt that you can teach him to track a blood trail. Make it a game for her and she will catch on.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:56 AM

Sounds good jorgy
Old 12-30-2003, 12:03 PM

Ive had a shep for 12 years and have no doubt he can doit my kids used to play a game where they would hide his fav toy in another room and he would find it in no time flat I know not quite the same but between instinct and training it can be done!