Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Agressive Lab

Old 12-15-2003, 08:57 PM

Default Agressive Lab

I have a 6 mo. old black Lab pup who plays very agressivly with other dogs. He also harrasses dogs who do not want to play with him. It is so bad that it is hard to take him to training or other events where other dogs are present. He never bites or fights, but plays very rough, and ignores most, if not all, of my commands while he is harrassing these poor other dogs. Other than these situations he is very much under control, and very obiedient. He seems to have a strong dominant drive. When we first broght him home he tried to be dominant w/ me, but working firmly w/ him for several weeks cured that. He is otherwise well behaved, and his training is progressing nicely, but this is becoming a problem. Can anyone help?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:37 AM

Default RE: Agressive Lab

Work on distraction training. Your training is not complete until you command your dog to sit.....stay or heel......and that is what he does.....NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Put him in situations where he disobeys while he is on a check cord or using a e-collar. Give him a correction when he disobeys..

Good Luck and Good Training
Old 12-16-2003, 12:11 PM

Contrary to what you say, if your dog is disobeying than he is not very obedient. You need to develop a sequential plan which will effectively teach him obedience (or follow the advice of a training regimen) Strapping on an e-collar is not the answer, as Drake says, because the e-collar is not a teacher, you are. It is simply a re-enforcer of the command. Teach first, then re-enforce. Make sure your dog knows the commands distraction free before throwing in any distractions to test his ability. Also, if an e-collar is in your future, make sure your dog is collar conditioned. Your training isn't and shouldn't be complete right now, your dog is only 6 months old. Teach the basics first, distraction free, then when he has this background knowledge you can slowly introduce distractions.

Drop me a line if I can be of anymore help.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:44 PM

LKing-Bills Post stated that his dawg is obedient and has problems with distractions. Secondly I did not saying that an e-collar is the answer! I was merely stating that a correction is needed wether it be a NO command , a correction with a pinch collar, or choker...... I was assuming that Bill is following a training program and I would never suggest to pop a e-collar on and train away! I agree with all of your suggestions....especially if he chooses to use a e-collar.

Good Training
Old 12-17-2003, 08:29 AM

In my opinion, a dog is NOT obedient if it has problems with distractions. Distractions, as you stated earlier Drake, need to become a part of OB training, eventually. And, contrary to what this owner thinks, a completely obedient dog is just that, even WITH distractions. Bill says ...other than these situations he is very much under control and obedient. We would be contradicting ourselves if we said, "the dog is obedient....but in such and such situation he is not obedient." See what I mean, the two can't be seperated. Either the dog is formally OB'd or it isn't. And in this case, it isn't. Again, I would recommend a sequential plan and really drive formal OB into this dog, adding distractions as it showed me it was capable of progressing. I also feel that we need to be really careful whenever an E-collar suggestion is made, because too many people go out, buy a collar, zap a dog, and expect it to behave itself. Not the case.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:43 AM

King....I totally agree. You used a much better choice of words.

2. The E-Collar should only be used under the strict supervision of a professional/experienced trainer. My first experience/lessons came from JJ at Deep Run Farm as did my intro to training my dogs in a formal training plan. Most valuable training I ever had!!!! Reading is one thing.....hands on is another.

Bill-Have you joined a Retriever Training Club? That would be a great place to start putting your training strategy together. Try www.NAHRA.org
Old 12-17-2003, 07:34 PM

Thank you both you for input, I do appreciate it. First, don't worry, I know better than to just slap an e-collar on him and think it is an instant fix. I will not even consider the collar until I feel he AND I are both ready for it, and I have sought training on it's proper use. Second I understand that this is a basic obedience problem, and I have tried gradually introducing distractions with him, but I now realize that somewhere along the line things have gotten away from me. 99% of the time he follows all my commands, but I have realized that the 1% that he does not is a problem, and could even become dangerous (i.e in the field, or near traffic, etc). This is my first dog that I have trained and I know I have made mistakes along the way. I think at this point I need to stop and reassess where we are, and maybe return to the basics and reinforce and even reteach those as needed. Maybe I was looking for a quick fix, but I am now sure that is not the answer. As for joining a club, I have gone to several training events that friends of ours belong to, but they don't meet as often as I feel I would like. I plan on looking for another club or group in my area. Thanks again. Bill
Old 12-18-2003, 10:45 AM

Bill.....one thing to remember you ob training never stops. It needs to be reinforced every day. 99% doesn't cut it, It has to be 100%. Sit means sit...not sit for 10 minutes...lay down then move a bit. It means sit your rear end down and stay put till I tell ya to move. Also, try not to put your dog in situations where he can not be corrected if he disobeys.

Good Luck and Good Training