Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Anyone with experience with a Plott hound? >

Anyone with experience with a Plott hound?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Anyone with experience with a Plott hound?

Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone with experience with a Plott hound?

Our new dog appears to be either a Plott hound or some sort of mixture of Plott. She will be medium sized when fully grown, has very large feet and thick legs and a big blocky head. She is a brindle color with medium ears and a back snout. She is driven by her nose which is something we didn't have to deal with on our last dog. Very smart and attentive with the exception of when she is following her nose.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few things you have to pay attention to when they are young for nose dominant dogs, in my experience, are recall and heel. Some dogs with a strong prey drive and nose dominant can be hard to control. They may get on a good scent and ignore you.
When I'm nose tracking I almost always use a leash, especially when blood tracking. My last dog would get on a blood trail and go nuts sometimes. He could follow a blood trail at a full run, somewhere around 35 MPH.
I used a dual tone whistle to train him, one side of the whistle was like a policeman's whistle, it was drop and freeze. The other side of the whistle was a solid tone which was recover and heel. I could also get him to recover and heel with a mouth/lip whistle, but sometimes my mouth was dry.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-09-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah we are working on all that. Sweetest little dog but when she gets loose she ends up always finding something dead. Frogs, dead birds and yesterday she came up with a 3' american eel off our beach. My daughter saw her running with what she thought was a large stick. She grabbed it and was horrified to see a stiff eel. The other day I took her out on leash at 5 am to get the news paper and surprised a doe which was hanging out in our orchard. She almost took my arm out of socket when the leash came up tight. When she is chasing something she is oblivious to my calls or whistles.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 05-10-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need to teach her to heel when on the leash. Nothing better for that than an e-collar. All my dogs walk at heel on leash or off. I will not have my arm jerked out of the socket when we are walking to our hunting spot. A well mannered dog makes for a better experience at home and in the field.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your obviously not new to dogs, but from the sound of your pooch a GPS tracker might be prudent. Back before GPS trackers young hunting dogs that hadn't learned (been taught) not to run Deer would go missing, sometimes forever. Most times their collar would get caught on a bush in some remote thicket, a sad way to die.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I have had dogs all my life. The last one wouldnt leave the property. She was people smart and knew what was allowed. We got her from Katrina at 4 months. Was brought all the way to vt by truck and we adopted her. This one is from the same area and is now 5 months. Looks like a plott and the other was a lab catahoula mix. With all the critters around here it will be a challenge letting her off leash unattended. GPS tracker is a great idea.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Spike

Are you planning on hunting this dog and for what?