Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Thinking about a Jagd for my homestead >

Thinking about a Jagd for my homestead

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Thinking about a Jagd for my homestead

Old 07-03-2019, 03:34 PM
Spike

Default Thinking about a Jagd for my homestead

Hello all! I have been researching the Jagd thoroughly and thought they might be a good fit for my homestead. I'll have 20-50 acres with at least 5 acres sectioned off for growing food. This area will be well fenced in but critters will still get through. I thought a Jagd would be perfect to patrol this area and keep animals off my crops.

When not doing that I'll be hunting everything from squirrels to fowl to deer, moose and bear. I was also thinking of doing varmint control for local farms. When not doing all that I was thinking of him being my hiking buddy too.

I love that they are on the smaller side, loyal and protective and will surely keep away animals from my property. Only thing I worry about is the long winters here (Northern Maine) and the activity I can provide at that time. So what do experienced people think? Is this enough for these crazy dogs or should I seek another breed?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Terriers are really good mousers and Ratters. The prey drive thing is a double-edged sword, It can be so strong they lose all good sense. We have Hedgehogs here, they are pretty harmless but do carry a lot of Fleas and Ticks. My Terriers will tear into one and not stop until it is a pile of Hedgehog guts. The inside of their mouths ends up looking like raw hamburger, the spines on a Hedgehog don't dissuade them a bit and then they do it again and again.
IMO with Terriers, you need two or three, so when they get into more trouble than they can handle (abilities) they have some backup handy.
Jagts have rep for having even more prey drive than normal Terriers if that is possible, the ones I've seen in action seem to bear this out.
Most of the Jagts the guys around here keep are straight hunting dogs, kennel, to a carrier, to hunt and back into the Kennel. They can be frustrating, calling them off a hunt or back to you can be a really iffy thing.
I have a Plummer Terrier that has a double coat and does well in the inter, another Plummer Jack Russel mix with short fur as thick as a Cats fur or thicker (number of hairs per square inch). My Jack Russel doesn't do well in the cold.
The Male Female dynamic seems really strong in many Terriers. IMO if you get two, a male and female works better than two fo the same sex. A shame when two dogs just can't get along. I have two females that I can't put together or it is a trip to the Vet at a minimum or worse (one has half an ear now). They aren't the exception they are the rule.
Maybe they have some lines in the U.S. that are a bit more docile and manageable, not here that I've seen.
There can be subtle differences dog to dog, I have one now that is definitely a scent dog dominant, Another that was born to go into burrows, she loves it underground. And another that wants to retrieve. All three closely related.
The real downside to having just one Terrier is birds of Prey and Coyotes. Mine are about twenty pounds, not too big to be carried off by an Eagle and not really big enough to handle a Coyote. I've spotted Hawks circling my oldest Terrier, I never let her out alone anymore.
I had a gun dog (Weimaraner) and a Jack Russel I hunted as a pair for years. Worked out well. One was big enough to hold it's own with most wild game the other was small enough to breeze through thickets.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-04-2019 at 04:19 AM.