Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Coonhound hunting Trouble finding tracks? >

Coonhound hunting Trouble finding tracks?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Coonhound hunting Trouble finding tracks?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Coonhound hunting Trouble finding tracks?

I recently got into coonhunting ive a now 3 year old red bone I got off of a buddy who hunted her a lot about a year ago. I take her out a good bit, I had her out in the summer and she treed real good then when they were all out. And I know it’s probably more difficult in the winter when it’s season, but we’ve taken her out a good bit between say 10-12 and she’s kicked out a few and we got one. But how often should we be getting coons with her , is it normal to only get a few? How much does the wheather effect what she can smell and if they even come out? I’ve been trying to take her out mostly on nights where it warms up a little because I figured they’d be out more. I’ve seen her on a hot track before and sometimes I take her out and you can tell she’s really out there smelling looking for something but it’s like nothings out. I was just wondering if this was all normal? I just feel like we should be getting more coons? or maybe at least seein a little more action sometimes we’ll be out there for a while and she won’t hit anything at all. A buddy of mine has some blue ticks and asked if I wanted to take her out with them would that maybe be helpful to her? Or do you think she’s fine and I should just keep taking her out on her own?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

First of all, there have to be coons in the area you are hunting, that may be your problem, you are not hunting where there are raccoons. Just because you found them in the summer when you were training doesn't mean they will be there in December.