Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Feeding my 6 month old GSP >

Feeding my 6 month old GSP

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Feeding my 6 month old GSP

Old 10-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Spike

Default Feeding my 6 month old GSP

Hey guys, so I have been feeding her 3 1/2 cups of food spread into 3-4 meals a day. She has been looking pretty skinny lately so I just upped her food to 4 1/2 cups a day, spread into 4 meals a day. Is that enough?? I'm hoping she will fill out more. She is pretty active. She chases the ball down a quarter of an acre hill and back up for an hour a day, sometimes a couple minutes more spread throughout the day. I take her on additional walks as well. She acts like she could eat her whole food bin! I feed her high quality food with no additives... The Canidae life stages with 2/3 different meats. She is digesting it just fine. She is my first GSP, and my Australian shepherd eats so much less compared to her!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Your duplicate topic in the other forum was deleted--You're only allowed 1 topic in 1 forum with no duplicates. If you check back later, this is the best forum to get a response on a bird dog.

CalHunter
Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Spike

Thank you, I saw this forum after I posted the first one.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

This one gets attention in flurries, then it slows down for a while. There's a few breeders, some competitors and of course just plain hunters who pop in over time. You should get a pretty good answer from some of them. Let us know how it works out. It'll probably be another year but I'm deciding between a GSP or a Brittany (had one when I was a teen). Pointers are lots of fun to hunt with.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Spike

GSPs are extremely smart and so sweet! She is great with other dogs and even babies and small children. I haven't heard much about Brittany's to be honest.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Feed two meals a day.
Feed 4 cups a day. Give 1/3 in the morning and 2/3 in the evening.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Click here for a great article : http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...erformance.pdf

Last edited by Doc E; 10-21-2015 at 05:01 AM.