Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Cruciate rupture

Old 10-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Cruciate rupture

Anyone have their dog rupture a rear leg cruciate ligament and have to endure TPLO surgery? Just wondering how the recovery went.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never had a dog that damaged or tore the ligament but I know a couple of guys who did. The dogs recovered but it takes a while.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 AM
Dominant Buck

She had the surgery last Friday and still isn't walking on the leg. Great vet who wrote the book on that surgery did it so I have hope she will make a full recovery. In the mean time I am sticking real close to her to make sure she doesn't try to jump up on furniture or climb stairs.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is the problem with dogs with heart, they still try to do things. On the other hand, who wold want a hunting dog r any other dog for that matter that doesn't have heart.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

She has a lot of heart and loves to run. I think she did it late summer chasing sticks I throw into the water. She loves to do that then started to limp some off and on. It was a partial rupture then one morning I went out to get the newspaper in the dark and she always goes with me. I have a long driveway with an orchard between the house and road. She saw something in the orchard and took off. Limped home and went under the knife a month later. Sucks because she is the best dog I ever owned and I have had a few. She is a mutt with a cross between a Lab and a Catahoula Leopard dog which is often used as a herder or a hog hunting dog. She came as a 4 month old orphan from Hurricane Katrina in NOLA.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope your Vet sent you to a re-habilitation center.
The key words following surgery are " FOLLOW THE RE-HAB PROGRAM TO THE LETTER.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

We live on an island about 40 miles one way from the surgical vet. They have a rehab center there at that clinic and he said when we go for the stitches/ staple removal he will determine how she is doing and go from there. He does 4 or 5 of these same operations per week and helped to develop that particular surgery so I have some confidence in his expertise. He gave me some things to do on a small scale while she is recovering. Still pretty sore for her with some swelling which he said would be the case. I had the human version of that type of problem many years ago from a sports injury and can only imagine how much pain she is in. She is a tough dog though and just went over and got one of her balls to play.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just wondering how the recovery went.
Suzi, out toy poodle ruptured her cruciate ligament in February, 2015. Then her knee cap slipped and it was back to surgery in early March.

We worked with Suzi's leg and encouraged her to put weight on it but she refused. Then we started telling her "put your leg down". After about one month of reminders she began walking on four legs. At first she limped a little then the limp went away. Suzi has been walking well since about mid June. We gradually increased the length of her walks. She currently walks up to one mile but is not allowed to run.

Last edited by falcon; 10-28-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad she is doing well and walking. Fannymae still isn't putting any weight on the leg but seems to be getting ready to try.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Never have, but I hope your dog has a speedy and complete recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.