Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Commands You Use for SIT >

Commands You Use for SIT

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Commands You Use for SIT

Old 06-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Commands You Use for SIT

What commands do you use for SIT ?
We use Verbal, Whistle, Gun Shot, and Hand Signal (hardly ever actually used).

With my next dog, I'm also going to do the above as well as train SIT to the Duck Call. I'm probably eliminate Hand Signal SIT, because I've never found it to be very useful.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default Sit Command

I don't have a dog myself but hunt with my son who does. He uses either verbal or verbal with a hand motion. Works great for little Shadow.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Say, sit

When I would get the dog close with a command, I'd just say sit , and lower my hand downwards .
Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by troutbum
When I would get the dog close with a command, I'd just say sit , and lower my hand downwards .
That is exactly the way my DD is trained, although if/when I lower my hand it means for him to not only sit, but also to lay down. He's almost 11 and don't believe it when people say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I didn't decide to use a whistle to get him to come back to me until he was about 7-8 years old. It was always just hollering the word "Here". When they are out a ways or out of sight in heavier cover it's much easier to blow the whistle and not be hollering. All I started doing was blowing the whistle along with that command and it didn't take long before the verbal command wasn't even necessary. He only has the verbal commands of "Fetch", "Sit", "Over" with a directional finger point, "Here" if he's very close and the whistle would be overkill, and "Kennel" with a finger point of where I want him to go, regardless of whether it's to come in the room where he stays, to the truck, into his cage when we're out hunting or camping, etc. This dog is a lot smarter than a lot of people, probably including his owner!!!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Spike

I use a hand signal
Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Smart dog's

06, It's amazing really how many commands a dog can learn. That'a basicly what I did, I kept the word command's simple and tried not to make them sound the same. My dog passed away about 6 yrs ago, I really miss him on the hunt.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

06, It's amazing really how many commands a dog can learn. That'a basicly what I did, I kept the word command's simple and tried not to make them sound the same. My dog passed away about 6 yrs ago, I really miss him on the hunt.
This dog is a part of me and when he goes a part of me with go with him! I forgot one command that he has and it is "STOP". When I give that command it means he's to stop anything he's doing regardless of what it is and look to me to see what I want. As you stated, you don't want any of your commands to sound like another word. That's why all those words I use are what they are. If a person were to use the words "NO" and "GO", for instance, they sound too much alike!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

And on a Blind Retrieve ?
Steady to shot ?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default What I said.

Originally Posted by Doc E
And on a Blind Retrieve ?
Steady to shot ?

I had a water dog , for duck's and geese hunting. Dixie, was a chessie. In the blind when they were coming in, I'd say hold, hold. after the shooting, if we got one I'd just say , dead bird. steer her with just right, left with appropriate hand signal. I never really used Dixie for upland bird hunting, The couple times we did, Dixie would flush, never really hold point.Downed bird , there again , dead bird. She is gone now, I'm glad i'm getting to old for waterfowl hunting like I use to do, now moderation, But I can't start with a new dog now. I miss Dixie.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Spike

For my rabbit hunting beagles I use a vocal "down" command and a hand command of pointing to my side with a "here" voice command. I also use a rapid whistle done with my mouth for calling them back to my area when they are out of my sight but in hearing range.

The "down" voice command I trained them by asserting my dominance as alpha male and jump on top of them and hold them to the ground voicing the "down" command until they stop wiggling. I don't hurt them in anyway, though they sometimes as puppies squeaked out of frustration not being able to move much. All I am doing is simulating wolf pack behavior when the alpha male grabs a low ranking member by the neck and holds them down to say "I am the boss". After some time of training this, and it doesn't take as long as you would think because it is instinct, you don't have to hold them down as often. But I still once in a while will jump on them for a reminder. My older beagles think its play time while also being submissive. I use the "down" command to leash them at any time, if they are doing something bad, or to remind them that I am the boss.

After the "down command was in place I started the "here" voice command and hand gesture of pointing to the text book heel position. If I am in eyesight of them they generally will obey unless they are on a rabbit run, in which case I use the "down" command and move quickly towards them when they don't respond to "here". "here" works great for calling them in to check a track or brush pile.

I use the rapid whistle by mouth for out of sight calling them back into my area to try for a rabbit start. I trained them on whistle starting when they are puppies, playing hide and seek with them in the yard. I would distract them with a toy or treat then run and hide behind a bush or something. When they would start the puppy whine after they realize they are alone, I would start to whistle in a 7-10 note pattern for them to find me. It starts as a game, then turns into trust between me and the pup. When they get older, if I whistle and "here", that means to them that there may be a rabbit near me to chase and they will rarely pass up that opportunity. The exception is if they are trying to figure out a track or a check, which tells me what they are doing. If they don't respond to whistle and "here" then I know to move closer to the last place I heard them sound off or use the tracking collars to move to their location.

Every beagle is different with any command. They all have different personalities, different abilities, and different barks. That's why I love'em!

Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide