HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Commands You Use for SIT
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
VT Outfitter
Spike

For my rabbit hunting beagles I use a vocal "down" command and a hand command of pointing to my side with a "here" voice command. I also use a rapid whistle done with my mouth for calling them back to my area when they are out of my sight but in hearing range.

The "down" voice command I trained them by asserting my dominance as alpha male and jump on top of them and hold them to the ground voicing the "down" command until they stop wiggling. I don't hurt them in anyway, though they sometimes as puppies squeaked out of frustration not being able to move much. All I am doing is simulating wolf pack behavior when the alpha male grabs a low ranking member by the neck and holds them down to say "I am the boss". After some time of training this, and it doesn't take as long as you would think because it is instinct, you don't have to hold them down as often. But I still once in a while will jump on them for a reminder. My older beagles think its play time while also being submissive. I use the "down" command to leash them at any time, if they are doing something bad, or to remind them that I am the boss.

After the "down command was in place I started the "here" voice command and hand gesture of pointing to the text book heel position. If I am in eyesight of them they generally will obey unless they are on a rabbit run, in which case I use the "down" command and move quickly towards them when they don't respond to "here". "here" works great for calling them in to check a track or brush pile.

I use the rapid whistle by mouth for out of sight calling them back into my area to try for a rabbit start. I trained them on whistle starting when they are puppies, playing hide and seek with them in the yard. I would distract them with a toy or treat then run and hide behind a bush or something. When they would start the puppy whine after they realize they are alone, I would start to whistle in a 7-10 note pattern for them to find me. It starts as a game, then turns into trust between me and the pup. When they get older, if I whistle and "here", that means to them that there may be a rabbit near me to chase and they will rarely pass up that opportunity. The exception is if they are trying to figure out a track or a check, which tells me what they are doing. If they don't respond to whistle and "here" then I know to move closer to the last place I heard them sound off or use the tracking collars to move to their location.

Every beagle is different with any command. They all have different personalities, different abilities, and different barks. That's why I love'em!

Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide