Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Shooting Live Birds Over Puppy? >

Shooting Live Birds Over Puppy?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Shooting Live Birds Over Puppy?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Spike

Default Shooting Live Birds Over Puppy?

I am getting a new Weimaraner puppy in a month and I want to start it Bird training right a way. I wont introduce my starter pistol to it for a couple of months but if she is good enough and I seem she is ready to hunt birds in the fall would being 6 months old be to young to shoot live birds over or not? Whats your guys take on this?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

If you properly expose her to gun fire and she shows you good bird drive, which can easily be done by 6 months, she won't have a problem.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just let her be a puppy to start with and don't ruin her before she's ready to go. It sounds like she was just whelped in the last couple weeks. If that's the case, you may not want to push her too fast, but wait until about the latter part of August on into September to really start pushing her if she is going good. If she's not, give her the extra time and she'll definitely be ready in 2014.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Spike

She is only 4 weeks right now so I wont get her for a while but she comes from great hunting lines but I will work with the basics this summer and than later in the summer start pushing her into the starter pistol and so forth.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:45 AM
Typical Buck

When you are going to introduce gun fire, you have to be in a controlled environment, ie. no gun fire. A controlled environment would be an open field with no hunters like a park or game farm where they control which group can hunt which field.

Don't push too hard. The attention span of a puppy is like 3 seconds; keep that in mind when training.