Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New hunting companion.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default New hunting companion.

Fell in love with this one at the pet store today and had to bring her home. I don't know how practical it would be but Id like to train her to come hunting with me. No so much to be a professional hunting dog but more of a field companion while I'm small game hunting. When is a good time to take her out and get her used to gun shots so she doesn't spook? I don't need her to flush or point, I just don't want her running a muck while I'm in the field.

This is Darla, shes a Mantled Merle Great Dane and shes 13 weeks old and 21 pounds.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

That's pretty sweet....congrats and I hope she works out for you bud!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Spike

Beautiful pup but I have had hunting dogs most of my life but never heard of anyone huntind with a great Dane! Not saying it can't be done! Good luck!! Gerry from NW Ohio.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, enjoy!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Spike

Take her out about four months. Throw a ball. And when she's far away fetching. Shot a blank. The throw the ball shorter distances. Shoot. Then keep moving in closer and closer till you're right over her.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Spike

Shell be focused on fetching and playing to be bothered with the sound. Shell take to it quick.