Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Which Would Be Better?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default Which Would Be Better?

My friend and I hog hunt and he uses dogs while Im a archer. He recently got some 8wk old Am Bull/Catahoula mix. Im puppy sitting them for him right now trying to decide which one I want to keep. One is bigger, her body style resembles a bulldog more , but she seems shy. While the other one is a lil smaller but she is more nippy, faster and likes to roam around and get in trouble.

My question is which would be a better hog dog. I can only get one of them so Im wanting one that will be a better finder/holder. Will the one that is bigger get more outgoing as she starts to train?

Here are some pics of the 2. Sorry the pics are so blury. I didnt know how hard it was to take pictures of puppies till I tried. They never stop moving lol.

I took this one trying to show the size difference.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont do hogs here in PA (yet). (they are here)

I'd go feisty.

Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Spike

A feistier dog will do you better. A hog dog needs to be brave, not shy. A shy dog is liklier to be cautious and hesitate, while a rambunctious one will fo for it, surprising it's query. Also remember the smaller pup will not grow into the smallest dog.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Spike

Why would you mix an American Bulldog with anything? A straight up American Bulldog from working bloodlines is the best there is for hogs. I am looking into them now for working our cattle and as a guard dog for my family.

I agree with the above answers on the two pups. A shy dog is gonna take a lot more work and a lot less abuse in the field.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Yellowsnow
Why would you mix an American Bulldog with anything? A straight up American Bulldog from working bloodlines is the best there is for hogs. I am looking into them now for working our cattle and as a guard dog for my family.

I agree with the above answers on the two pups. A shy dog is gonna take a lot more work and a lot less abuse in the field.
i agree this is a very interesting cross, but catahoulas generally make great boar dogs