Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What dogs good for schutzhund sporting? >

What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?

i want to goo in to sporting a dog.. they will be protecting. tracking and some other! they need to do stuff just like a k9 police dog!! im not sure to get a belgian malinois or German Shepherd!!!! whats the pros and cons of both??? and it will be a failmy dog too!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Take the Shepard unless you are very learned in the malinois. They are very active and require work continualy. Not the sit by the fire and guard the house type dog.
The Shepard has been the good old stand by for a family dog yet can do about everything you may want it to do.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Spike

A breed often over look for Schultzen work is the German Airedale Terrier. Also will double as a upland bird dog and a Non-slip retriever. I ve trained 2 for upland work and non slip retrieving./ and they just love to take out the bad guy in the suit. Excelent tracking dogs and obedience scoreing as well
Though if you are just going to fool around with Schuz.. and a family dog is all you really want a GSD would be an excellent choice
Old 02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Here you go. Be different as everybody uses the shep and mal for schutzhund. Your decoy will be putting on a heavier sleeve Well that is if you want to be unique. http://allstarcanecorsos.web.officel...m/default.aspx

Go and talk to a breeder that does schutz and ask them specifically what you want the dog for and I am sure he will make a recommendation. My dog was just protection trained by a well known highly ranked Team USA Schutzund competitor/trainer. He uses both mal and shep. If you go to a well seasoned trainer most breed too and import both the above.
Attached Thumbnails What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?-romeo-mercer.jpg   What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?-0522001105b.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

NJ these dogs are a wreck and I would not be within 500 feet of one. I have talked with many trainers and dog handlers on this breed and they are scared to death of them. Very unpredictable and never know when they are going to snap. Drug dealers started mix breeding these things to protect their investments and then joe city guy thought they should have them for pets. Some cities have bans or special regulations on these dogs also. If these are your dogs please don't take this as a personal attack on you or your dogs but the owner of this better be darn sure they know the breed and what they are capable of.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nulle
NJ these dogs are a wreck and I would not be within 500 feet of one. I have talked with many trainers and dog handlers on this breed and they are scared to death of them. Very unpredictable and never know when they are going to snap. Drug dealers started mix breeding these things to protect their investments and then joe city guy thought they should have them for pets. Some cities have bans or special regulations on these dogs also. If these are your dogs please don't take this as a personal attack on you or your dogs but the owner of this better be darn sure they know the breed and what they are capable of.
Are you getting a cane corso mixed up with a presa canario or a fila brasileiro? I would recommend that if you are going to take one to training you most likely are not going to work with a trainer with a corso with an attitude at 8+ monthes old. It has to be done as a pup. Think about it for a minute MOST dogs you see going to the trainer for obedience at 8+ months old most likely are there for issues. I had mine at the trainers a 12 weeks old. I am not going to say its a lab because they are not. As far as snapping they are a quite breed BUT can become an intruders worst nightmare. If I bring someone in my house he will tolerate them IF I am there. Now would I walk away and leave someone alone with my dog and when they get bite say "it just snapped"? Well ofcourse not that would not be responsible would it? Yes they were abused in the inner city by not so nice people. They are guard dogs first and for most with VERY stable temperaments. To say my dog will not bite someone that walks in my yard well no they most likely will get bite. That is what they are for hence the name "guard dog". The history of them is from Sicily as guard/farm dogs. Again they are not labs, boxers, golden retrievers ect ect ect.....They are easy to train and are very loyal to their family. They are not like pit bull as they have terrier in them. A cane corso has mastiff in them. Go to dog breed info to find out more.
Attached Thumbnails What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?-dscf0703.jpg   What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?-romeo-patio.jpg   What dogs good for schutzhund sporting?-0109001145.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

No mix up in the breed on this end and I might add the canario is also on the warning list. This warning has come from people who train attack and guard dogs for law enforcement and also people in the industry who have delt with them. I say if it has teeth it will bite no matter what the breed. As far as being stable this is where we disagree and they are much closer to a pit bull then a terrier by a long shot. It is interesting how people try everything from name changes to color in an attempt of getting away from the pit bull image. They might be a good dog as long as you know what they could do and the liability that goes with it . Another name given the pit bull is Staffordshire bull "terrier".
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nulle
No mix up in the breed on this end and I might add the canario is also on the warning list. This warning has come from people who train attack and guard dogs for law enforcement and also people in the industry who have delt with them. I say if it has teeth it will bite no matter what the breed. As far as being stable this is where we disagree and they are much closer to a pit bull then a terrier by a long shot. It is interesting how people try everything from name changes to color in an attempt of getting away from the pit bull image. They might be a good dog as long as you know what they could do and the liability that goes with it . Another name given the pit bull is Staffordshire bull "terrier".
It was shepherds in the 70's, dobes in the 80's, rotties in the 90's, pts in the 2000's and corsos in the 2010. Gotta love the media
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Ya gotta love it . Anyway didn't mean to blast your dog or should I say breed and good luck with it. In my line of work I deal with all types and breeds of dogs and just felt there is a better dog suited for shutzhund and we did get some interest going on this post for awhile lol
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have owned (in this order) ****er spaniel, afghan hound, doberman, shepherd, chihuahua, cane corso and jack russell terrier. Believe it of not guess what dogs were the worst in being unstable? You have to leave out the JRT as she is still an 8 week old puppy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.