Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
How to help a dog gain lean muscle? >

How to help a dog gain lean muscle?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How to help a dog gain lean muscle?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Spike

Default How to help a dog gain lean muscle?

I have a pitbull and was wondering what the best way to help him gain lean muscle. How much would you feed him and would it make a difference if it was high protein?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Feed him numerous times throughout the day and yes a high protein food will help increase lean muscle mass but those foods are on the pricey side. If your dog doesn't have any digestive issues with eggs they can be added to his food as well and might make it more appetizing thus he would eat more and get more casein protein which is ideal for night time feeding because it breaks down slower than milk/whey proteins and will provide protein for a longer period of time while he sleeps.

Curious.... What is your motivation for trying to bulk up a Pitbull?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Feed him numerous times throughout the day and yes a high protein food will help increase lean muscle mass but those foods are on the pricey side. If your dog doesn't have any digestive issues with eggs they can be added to his food as well and might make it more appetizing thus he would eat more and get more casein protein which is ideal for night time feeding because it breaks down slower than milk/whey proteins and will provide protein for a longer period of time while he sleeps.

Curious.... What is your motivation for trying to bulk up a Pitbull?
Ditto, good food, I would add make sure he is getting excercise, but also wonder why wanting to bulk up a pit.....
Old 07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Might be a hog dog.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I hope it's for something like that and not that he's buddy's with Vick.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Spike

ok thanks for the advice... and no no hes a family house dog thats just kinda scrawny and I wanted to pack a little meat on him thats all.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtomshooter
ok thanks for the advice... and no no hes a family house dog thats just kinda scrawny and I wanted to pack a little meat on him thats all.
Ok, good to know. Do you plan to use him for any type of hunting, like squirrels or other small game?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

ya coons and possums he wont run a scent trail but if gets his eye on one its either dead or up a tree before he catches it haha.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Spike

pits have alot stronger drive to hunt then people give them credit for. my old boy has killed alot of squirrels and coons, one could was close to 60 lbs while my pit was around 45, he still laid it down. very fast for the leg size as well. good luck with him!