Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
finding a good coonhound >

finding a good coonhound

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

finding a good coonhound

Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default finding a good coonhound

how many out there know kennels that consistently produce good solid coonhounds. Not points dogs or me toos but a dog that can go out by himself and tree you a coon if there is a coon to be treed. obviously it takes some training, but with a good lined hound there should not be that hard to find. I just got rid of my second bluetick, a few months ago. I dont care if it is the ugliest dog in the world as long as it does its job. Im not an expert when it comes to training hounds but I do train dogs for protection work so I have some dog sense about me. Just wonderin if any of you have a good solid coonhound and where you got it from.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Russ bellar keeps throwing solid dogs. He mainly runs walkers and has big D, insane cain, sodbuster and how many other that either won world hunts or big hunts. Any one of his lines are pretty decent. You might find a nice started one in your area on www.ukcdogs.com/ the forum
Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

i have a treeing walker she is the best dog i have ever had she is out of the Buck Creek line of dogs i havent heard of any buck creek dogs being not able to hunt and tree coons but what kind of dog you lookin to get cause there is quite the variety of dogs out there that are meant for coon huntin.......
the most common are the treeing walker hounds they are real good hounds i see a lot of these hounds winning hunts all around the country so i guess some research will help on findin the right hound
but i hunt with a guy who breeds and hunts buck creek hounds he has some real tuff hounds another line to look up is the lone pine hounds and finley river hounds they are the ones who started it all along with the clover bred hounds best track and tree dog i have seen hands down

Last edited by NYhunter325; 07-22-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

How fast are these dogs as far as maturing. I dont care what kind of dog it is as long as it does its job. I have always liked blueticks as well as redbones. right now I am a little sour towards blueticks just cause of my luck with them. Not saying they are bad just how I feel right now. If I get another one I will probably just spend the extra money to get a broke dog that I can have fun with from the start.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

they get to full size around 1 year old and if your lookin for a broke dog look for a granded out dog most competition hunters sell their dogs after they grand em out or if you want find a dog that is started on coons but just needs woods time that would be the best bet cause that way you can see the dog get better each time you go into the woods but it depends on who you talk to when it comes to the best breed now the red bones i have seen some good ones and some bad ones now its the same with any other breed i just hunted with a bluetick not to long ago a very tuff dog but i think finding guys around your area that breed like any breed your lookin for
if bluetick aint your thing then try a walker or an english but its all preference on what type of dog your lookin for but if its your first dog get a female they are the easiest to handle and they respond better than the males but no matter what type of dog you get they all will be different no matter the breed its just the luxuery of havin a coonhound
Old 07-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

as far as maturing, i mean in the way they work. at 6 months what is their interest if any in a coon. I dont care about titles as I have seen a friend of mine bought a ni champ I believe and it was just a me too dog. I dont mind to travel either my whole reason for wanting a brokie dog is that my son is coming of age that he is getting in to hunting as well as dogs.(I train protection dogs as well) I want to get a dog that dont have to be trained just something I can take in the woods that will do his job. I think that when the time comes I will end up travelling to get one because with the luck i have had I will be going on a hunt with that dog fore I swap any money and they better show me something. thanks for the tips nyhunter if you ever have a good dog for sale let me know, the timing just might work out.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

ok will do sussexhunter send me a pm if you get a dog like to see how it is doin

Ny,
Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Spike

the english dogs have come a long way. they are like a walker with brains. woodstock, wilcox, hardtime, and swamp rooster are good lines.