Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

bunnies...

Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default bunnies...

Hey guys I'm really keen on getting started with a beagle or two for bunnies.... We've got alot of rabbits around that never get hunted but its hard to kick them up or keep up to them without a good dog.
How well does this style of hunting work and do they run jacks as well? Also I'm really not in the position to spend too much on a dog... Like do most beagles have that hunting instinct or what is the bonus on getting one from a 'specilized breeder'?
I've been looking around for awhile but I was hoping on getting one trained for next fall so i could hunt with a few of my younger siblings before I head off to university or college or soemthing..
Anyways take care,
Old 08-11-2010, 04:44 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Beagles are bred to run rabbits, but they are like anything else b/c you are going to get what your pay for. You can spend anywhere form $25-$500 on a pup. You can probably find some grade beagles around you worth the money. Check the UKC beagle classifieds or rabbit hunting online. If you are going to buy a running dog go watch it hunt before you shell out the cash.