Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What do you think is the all around best sporting dog? >

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mustad
Labs don't point. Your lab is not pointing. You have no idea what a pointing dog is. It's great that you are proud of your pup, but you really have to get a grip on reality.
LMAO!! Being from PA. we have more hunters and hunting dogs than all the states that make up New England combined!! So its pretty safe to say that I am around more hunting dogs on a daily basis than you and I know exactly what a pointing dog is. Pike
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Labs don't point. Your lab is not pointing.
Click on the link, read slowly and you might actually learn something. Labs dont point!! Now thats funny right there!!
Thats even funnier than you claiming that Poodle Pointers are more versitle than the Lab. Pike

http://www.pointing-labs.net/do-labs-point.html

Last edited by J Pike; 07-01-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Based upon what you have stated, it is not safe to assume anything. If you really think your dog is pointing; and those pictures represent evidence of your belief; you do not know anything about pointing dogs. You can believe what you want Pike, but the reality is what it is... you dog doesn't point. It's ok dude; your dog is not a pointing dog. It's not what he was bred to do. It's not what you want him for.... so don't get your pantyies bound up over it. Just have fun with him and enjoy the hunt. If you look at my original post, I wasn't bashing labs in any way or form. In fact I specifically said that if you're looking for a versatile flushing dog, the lab would be considered absolute top.

By the way, it might be possible that you have seen more hunting dogs than me; but honestly I highly doubt it. One thing is certain, I've seen enough of these supposed pointing labs to come to two conclusions... 1. Anyone trying to sell a "pointing" lab is a used car salesman and 2. Labs don't point.

BTW, apologies to the original poster... his thread has been way to hijacked and we should get back on his point rather than argue something that has very little to do with his question. If you want to continue to argue your point, either start a new thread or pm me.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

LMAO. here is another link for you from the Bass Pro Shop site
If you want more proof all you have to do is google pointing labs. Pike
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...objectID=28642

Last edited by J Pike; 07-01-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Wow. What a credible source you tout. Yet another company looking to sell stuff. Please just face reality. You have a good dog and go hunting with it... but stop trying to turn it into something it isn't.

Here is one of your mysterious pointing lab litters:

I've got a little secret for you... if it points; it ain't a lab...

Out of respect for the original poster and boredom, I'm done with this issue.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Phil, there is a small, but growing number of folks that use their setters as versatile dogs. This is almost exclusively a result of breeding programs using NAVHDA as the means of measuring the success of their programs and basis of their breeding decisions. However, as a breed, I wouldn't say they are considered versatile.

You clearly have never checked the history of them very well have you? The Irish that hunt today are made from imported strands. The ones of yester year were never told about NAVHDA either. LOL Then again there is still alot of secrets that are kept with the Irish hunters and breeders in order to keep them the way they are..

By the way I am thinking it was DOC E that used to be on here with his pointing lab. That lab would clearly point and was quite versatile as well. I do believed he went through NAVHDA though if I can remember correctly.. But again it was clearly a pointing Lab that he was using..
Old 07-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Not taking sides either way but here is what I have seen, Most Navhda trained dogs are much more thoroughly trained than any other group of dogs I have seen. I run mine in AKC hunt tests to prepare for the Navhda requirements. A dog can have his Master title in AKC and fail miserably in Navhda because while Yes, they find birds, hold point, are steady to shot, honor and retrieve. Most of that comes naturally for pointing breeds-some dogs have to be worked more in some areas than others. Alot of what I see In NAVHDA takes alot more work because they are now having to do all the above but within guidelines that the dog would not naturally do such as learning position direction from the handler instead of having their nose do all the directioning as in blind retrieves for instance and resending a dog into water or cover to search repeatedly after not finding the bird the first time or two. These dogs have to follow commands to a higher level than required by AKC.

As far as Pointing Labs.... I am skeptical. I have seen a few labs that were supposedly "Pointing Labs" and what I saw was a dog that was trained to whoa upon scent of a bird instead of instinctually pointing. There is a difference between the two. While almost every one out of a 100 GSP's will most likely point at scent or birds being pheasant or sparrows whether trained or not, the percentage of "Pointing Labs" doing the same by instinct and not conditioning is at best still in the single digits out of 100 Pointing Labs. I can post pics all day long of my german shorthair appearing to be pointing even in a parking lot without a blade of grass around because I whoa'd him into that position. Pictures of Labs appearing to be pointing does not mean they are pointing. Pointing is not what a lab was bred to do and if for argument's sake they are locked up on scent of a bird it is because they have been trained to do it not because they instinctually want to do it. I would love if someone can show me actual video of a lab working a field, scenting a bird and pointing that bird especially if that lab can see the bird moving around in front of it and it holds point with nothing between the dog and the bird such as briars or brush that would keep the dog from trying to flush it.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-03-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

For a treeing dog, mountain cur, hands down!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
As far as Pointing Labs.... I am skeptical. I have seen a few labs that were supposedly "Pointing Labs" and what I saw was a dog that was trained to whoa upon scent of a bird instead of instinctually pointing. There is a difference between the two. While almost every one out of a 100 GSP's will most likely point at scent or birds being pheasant or sparrows whether trained or not, the percentage of "Pointing Labs" doing the same by instinct and not conditioning is at best still in the single digits out of 100 Pointing Labs. I can post pics all day long of my german shorthair appearing to be pointing even in a parking lot without a blade of grass around because I whoa'd him into that position. Pictures of Labs appearing to be pointing does not mean they are pointing. Pointing is not what a lab was bred to do and if for argument's sake they are locked up on scent of a bird it is because they have been trained to do it not because they instinctually want to do it. I would love if someone can show me actual video of a lab working a field, scenting a bird and pointing that bird especially if that lab can see the bird moving around in front of it and it holds point with nothing between the dog and the bird such as briars or brush that would keep the dog from trying to flush it.
Why show a video when I can show you in person?
You know your more than welcome to come over to my property in the winter and shed hunt and yote hunt right?
Shed hunting is how I discovered that my lab pointed, this past March when he was about 14 weeks old, he started pointing every time he located one of our many grouse or wood****s.
I dont know his pedigree etc. only that he was a rescue from an amish puppy mill but one thing I am 100% positive about is that his pointing is instinctive because at the time the only thing I was worried about training him to do was to find every antler possible. At the time the grouse and wood****s were just an unwanted distraction. Pike
Old 07-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Not taking sides either way but here is what I have seen, Most Navhda trained dogs are much more thoroughly trained than any other group of dogs I have seen. I run mine in AKC hunt tests to prepare for the Navhda requirements. A dog can have his Master title in AKC and fail miserably in Navhda because while Yes, they find birds, hold point, are steady to shot, honor and retrieve. Most of that comes naturally for pointing breeds-some dogs have to be worked more in some areas than others. Alot of what I see In NAVHDA takes alot more work because they are now having to do all the above but within guidelines that the dog would not naturally do such as learning position direction from the handler instead of having their nose do all the directioning as in blind retrieves for instance and resending a dog into water or cover to search repeatedly after not finding the bird the first time or two. These dogs have to follow commands to a higher level than required by AKC.

A hunt test has about as much to do with upland or waterfowl hunting as a 3D archery shoot has to do with bow hunting. Pike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.