HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   What do you think is the all around best sporting dog? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/325138-what-do-you-think-all-around-best-sporting-dog.html)

anjelojon 06-28-2010 08:18 PM

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

If you want to look at the best all around sporting dogs, you've got to take into account more than just upland, waterfowl, and retrieving (which is really just part of the other two), tracking, hunting fur, and qualities as a house dog has also gotta be worked into it. For the sake of simplicity though, I'll just go by upland, waterfowl, tracking, and qualities as a house dog for the major breeds.

Jimmy S 06-29-2010 03:08 AM

Very difficult to answer. My reply would be a Springer because that's what I own. Ask my son, he'll say a Lab, ask my buddy, he'll say his GSP, ask my other buddy, he'll say his English Setter.

We all have our favorites and I honestly do not think there is one best all around sporting dog. Those that point, don't usually retrieve as well as a Retriever. Those that retrieve don't flush as well as a Flusher and those that flush never point anyway.

It's all up to the type of hunting as well as the dog best suited for those conditions.

mustad 06-29-2010 03:11 AM

I think it depends on if you want a pointing dog or a flushing dog when you hunt upland.

For pointing dogs, Pudelpointer, Deutsche Drahthaar, Deutsche Kurzhaar, Griffon, Large Munsterlander, German Longhair are among the top breeds.

For flushing dogs I don't think you get get better than a lab

skiftcky 06-29-2010 04:51 AM

Labs

Best all around dog would have to be a Lab. Color doesnt matter much to me but when if comes to family pet/hunter/tracker/etc. they cannot be beat. Nothing against other dogs as they are awsome in their own right but in any community you talk to the mere mention of a hunting dog will always bring the Labrador Retreiver to the forefront of anyones mind.

_zink_ 06-29-2010 03:43 PM

German shorthaired pointer hands down

crimedog 06-29-2010 05:41 PM

I have to go with Chesapeake Bay Retreiver.

4evrhtn 06-29-2010 06:10 PM

GSP, I have owned golden retrievers, labs, spaniels, german shepherds, all sorts of dogs and by far without a doubt in my mind the shorthair is the smartest dog compared to all other breeds I have owned. Plus for in the house- they are great guard dogs, great with kids, very affectionate plus they are "short haired" not as much mess in the house, they still shed but it is much easier to stay on top of and when in the field I don't have to spend a half hour brushing the chiggers and junk out of their coat. A couple pets on the head for showing up the pudelpointer they were running with in the bird field and they are ready for the truck or couch. (that last line was for you Mustad for not giving any mention to the GSP for pointing):)

mustad 06-30-2010 07:17 AM

That's pretty funny 4evrhtn.

A Deutsche Kurzhaar is a GSP; just a different registry and breed club. I guess I should have said DK/GSP; and DD/GWP while were at it.

In any case, they all come in second after the Pudelpointer!!! :)

4evrhtn 06-30-2010 08:13 AM

You just taught me something! I appreciate that. I still call them GSP's it's easier and almost everyone knows what that is.
If the GSP "comes in second" to the Pudelpointer it is because the Pudelpointer was gun shy and ran back to the truck first. :)

J Pike 06-30-2010 02:04 PM

Im going to have to say lab. I am currently training mine to hunt antlers, waterfowl and upland birds. Heck he even points. He picks everything up very fast and has a strong desire to hunt and please.
He is also a great family dog, I just wish I could get him to stop trying to chew on everything.
My second choice would be GSP's, my cousin has 8 of them and they are awesome but they are just to hyper for me not quit as good of a family dog as labs etc. Pike