Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Just sent in Deposit on my first Hunting dog >

Just sent in Deposit on my first Hunting dog

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Just sent in Deposit on my first Hunting dog

Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear about your mutt. This new dog is gonna...rock your world. There is fun you can have with dogs, playing, walking, etc. but there is nothing like taking your hunting dog out in the field. When the dog first starts pointing or when she perks up searching for a bird in flight whenever someone fires a shot, you can only smile with pride because you know you did something right. Me, I hunt because of my dog and not the other way around .

Good luck, and use your breeder as a training resource.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mite

Good luck, and use your breeder as a training resource.
Mite, Thanks this is what I am looking forward to hunting with my girl.

Roger my breeder from Altmoor kennels has E mailed me many time saying that if you have any question with training he will be more than happy to help even in person. As He is only about 50 mintues away from my house. I am so glad I have found him and I am getting my puppy from one of the most experienced breeders in the US. He is fantastic and very willing to work with me and help me with suggestions for a Kennel Run for my backyard.

I can't say enough about Altmoor kennels and am so looking forward to my puppy. I expect nothing short of a fantastic dog.

Mite what are you hunting behind??

Brian
Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 445 supermag
Mustad, Well this just shows you how dumb I am right now with regards to this breed. Puppies were born Feb 20th 2010. I thought that the dogs go through this test as puppies to see their inherited potential and natural abilities. So you mean that this puppy will take this test next year in the spring when she is 1 year old. Then take the HZP in the fall at 1 1/2 years old???

Brian
VJP's are in the spring; HZP in the fall.

The pup is ran the year following it's birth... i.e. a pup born in 2010 will be tested in 2011. The exception to the rule are pups that are born in Oct, Nov or Dec who are allowed to wait an additional year... i.e. pup born Nov 2010 can wait until 2012 to be tested.

The only reason I asked was Roger is running a dog in Carlisle, PA in a few weeks... I was wondering if it was your dog.

Don't sweat the whole test thing. It's a bunch of fun and a good way for you to prepare for the hunting season. It also gives the foresight the breeder needs to validate decisions.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Mustad for that info. I am looking forward to this spring and upcoming fall. I just hope I do right by my new pup.

I am sure I will be here asking a lot of questions.

I just ordered the (Green book) from NAVHDA and Joan Bailey's Book something about How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves...

So between these books and the DD manual from Altmoor kennels I hope to get a good start.

Brian
Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 445 supermag
Mite, Thanks this is what I am looking forward to hunting with my girl.

Roger my breeder from Altmoor kennels has E mailed me many time saying that if you have any question with training he will be more than happy to help even in person. As He is only about 50 mintues away from my house. I am so glad I have found him and I am getting my puppy from one of the most experienced breeders in the US. He is fantastic and very willing to work with me and help me with suggestions for a Kennel Run for my backyard.

I can't say enough about Altmoor kennels and am so looking forward to my puppy. I expect nothing short of a fantastic dog.

Mite what are you hunting behind??

Brian
My dog of choice is the setter. My current setter is a classic Llewellin setter top knot and all. She's soon to be 5 yrs old, still very birdy, close ranging (for a setter) and incredibly spoiled!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mite
My dog of choice is the setter. My current setter is a classic Llewellin setter top knot and all. She's soon to be 5 yrs old, still very birdy, close ranging (for a setter) and incredibly spoiled!

LOVE that dog. I don't know how many times I have watched HUNTING WITH HANK just to watch his dog hunt. Freaking awesome dog. Must be pure joy to hunt behind.

Your a lucky man.

Brian