Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

English Setter Pup

Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default English Setter Pup

Picking up this Blue Belton on saturday...can't wait!!!!
Attached Thumbnails English Setter Pup-stella.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Spike

Congrats on the new pup. One of these days I'm going to add a setter to my pack.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

This is my second one...I have been through Shorthairs and multiple labs but there is nothing like a english setter
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Outdoor
This is my second one...I have been through Shorthairs and multiple labs but there is nothing like a english setter

i was looking at orange belton setter.when you say nothing like setter, could you explain.i have lab for grouse but toby is 7 now. at 10 or so i was going to get lewellin setter then replace toby later if he passes on with another lab.

toby is best all around dog i have ever had ..........
Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
i was looking at orange belton setter.when you say nothing like setter, could you explain.i have lab for grouse but toby is 7 now. at 10 or so i was going to get lewellin setter then replace toby later if he passes on with another lab.

toby is best all around dog i have ever had ..........
I've hunted behind pointers and britts alot but prefer setters. The reasons are: she is always hunting. Whether indoors or out, she's always looking for something to chase/hunt. Indoors, she hunt bugs. If they are on the opposite side like moths, she sit and stare for as long as they are there. Outdoors, she's searching. Open soccer field, she'll get down low and hunt the entire field for birds.

Personality, she doesn't play much with other dogs. She prefers to greet their owners. She's the only dog I know which I can call her off people giving treats. I point to the pond and make a duck call, her head immediately swings my way then she's off looking for ducks.

Then there's nothing like a setters tail.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Spike

There is a few guys who show up at grouse camp with setters. So far they have been awsome at keeping the fleas of my short tailed dogs!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Mite about the setters always hunting and never stoping whether inside or out. I also enjoy the frolicking attidue they have. Even though I hunt with the Irish line of setters. To me a good hunting setter is hard to beat! Congrats on your purchase!!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-19-2010 at 06:18 AM.