Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Training Hunting Dog

Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default Training Hunting Dog

Whats the best advice you guys have for a first time dog owner (my dog and not a family dog) who wants to train a squirrel and or rabbit dog? I have a 5 month blue/red heeler mix who is very smart and curious to learn new things. Now I know some will say she isnt a breed that hunts these two game animals, but I say why not? Shes still young and picks things up really quick so why couldnt I train her to hunt? My current biggest problem is getting her back to me when I say COME or HERE. Any advice will help and all will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Spike

Well I went and got some training scent for starters for my girl. Ive worked with her what little I can after work this week to see if shes intrested. The key for starters is to limit the duration of the training sessions as I see her lose intrest after about 10 min. Just by her body language I can tell she gets I want her to do something with the stink thats dragged across the ground as she gets exited when she first smells the scent. Right now though I can only see her as a runner maybe im not sure. I plan on gettin her some field runs sometime soon. Im talkin to myself I know but ill keep it updated if I can actually get a blue heeler to rabbit hunt!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Spike

if u want that dog to rabbit or squirral hunt u need to let her know its ok to chase and maybe even kill it once a dog knows he or she isnt going to get wooped for killing on or the other they will come around make sure u reward the dog that is the main thing a dog love to please ist master even if it just picks up a tail of a squirral pat her and say good job over and over every time this works i promise