Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Feeding Raw Meat

Old 10-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Feeding Raw Meat

I would like to supplement raw meat into my labs diet before and during bird season. I would like to feed dry once a day and raw for the other feeding.

I have a lot of venison that I am wanting to get rid of - is this good for raw feeding?

How much should feed ? I am finding it hard to come up with any guidelines online anywhere else - just the fact that many people like it. I find a lot of information on the benefits but not how much to auctually feed them.

I assume that I would feed in the same proportion that I would do in hard food.

Help would be much appreciaited. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default raw

Check out some sled dog forums, I have heard alot of them feed raw.

Also there is a thread on this sight from a few months ago if you go back a few pages.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

birddog:
Thank you for the response, but I did not post this in a sled dog forum. Nor do I want advice from sled dog owners or enthusiasts. Like I said, I could not find info with the search function so I thought that one of the tens of thousands of people on here could help out.

If you are on a sled dog forum please pass on the question to them and let me know.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

start with 2% of your dog's body weight. Adjust up or down depending on weight gain.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Spike

In recent years, feeding dogs raw meat has become increasingly popular. The trend, however, has sparked health concerns, because of the risk of foodborne illnesses in pets as well as the public health risks of zoonotic infections. Now, a new study that identifies potentially harmful bacteria in 21 commercial raw meat diets bolsters these concerns.

"This has some potential public health concerns for both the animals being fed these diets and their human owners," said Dr. Rachel Strohmeyer, a researcher at the Animal Population Health Institute, Colorado State University. She presented her findings at the annual meeting of the Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases held in Chicago in November.

Proponents of raw meat diets say it improves dogs' performance, coat, body odor, teeth, and breath. While high-performance dogs, such as racing Greyhounds and sled dogs, have been fed raw meat diets for years, the trend to feed raw meat to companion dogs is new.

Because of this trend, and because the safety of these raw diets has received limited attention, Dr. Strohmeyer tested 21 commercially available raw meat diets, two dry dog foods, and two commercial canned dog foods for non-type specific Escherichia coli, Salmonella spp, and Campylobacter spp. The researchers purchased diets of beef, lamb, chicken, and turkey in four months, trying to space the purchasing times far enough apart so that they came from different lots. Three samples from each product underwent bacteriologic culturing each time.