Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

11 week old lab

Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

first thing is you teach dogs the basic commands like sit, wait, down/up go and teach them who is the boss and that they are down the bottom in the family so they know thei place.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bush_pig
first thing is you teach dogs the basic commands like sit, wait, down/up go and teach them who is the boss and that they are down the bottom in the family so they know thei place.
you are right .hunting will come natural and time in woods will bring that out.if you dont have dog that thinks you not are in charge,boy thats a problem in woods.you have to make yourself the PACK leader.some dont like this as they feel dog is counting on you.i like it because toby is always looking for me and stays within 20 yds of me hunting all the time in woods.

but its how you want to hunt.here in pa i see a lot of english setters that hunt way out in front of hunters.like 50 yds or more.i seen gsp out 100 yds .owners like this because they cover territory.they have collars on them beeping etc.
that is way those hunters like to hunt and way some dogs were bred to cover territory.

me i am type that likes my dog close to me,i like to see him/her hunting.i like to see toby always crossing in front of me at 20 yds or so,back/forth.he is FLUSHER and you have to be ready.thats also big excitement to me,the FLUSH.......

but if you are not pack leader, toby could just go hunting his merry way without any concern where i am at.a lot of dogs do this and owners love it, they cover territory finding more birds.but most flush before owner even gets there.
2 types of hunting and 2 types of hunters and way they want it.

me when i come out at dark in wind ,snow, hail, rain the last thing i want to be worrying about is where toby is.i dont need to worry, i am PACK leader and toby the lab will find me.

take care all SPROUL