Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New guy

Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Spike

Default New guy

Hello all. Hope you dont mind another new member. I posted this here because this is where I will spend most of my time.
Mostly into upland hunting, dog training and fishing. Dont deer hunt much any more, the thrill is gone. Still go out and harvest one or two every year because I like the meat.
Spend most of my hunting time grouse hunting with a little pheasant hunting mixed in.
I have 2 german shorthairs but I have had a few differant breeds over the years.
I hope your hunting season is going well and look foward to your posts.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome Roo. Where do you do most of your grouse hunting?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey Roo - love upland more than most other things - and then any bird or fowl but will do a deer hunt once in a while......

Watched Grouse strut this past weekend. Never expected to see that and saw things I never have eye witnessed from both Male and Female......

Do wish I had a video with......The tail fan in full strut while the neck feathers where being ruffled was awesome tow witness. Then see the hen ruffle her neck feathers and then fly away.......only to come back.......have never seen that.

Was worth the no-see-um deer hunt for sure.

JW
Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Spike

I live in michigan, do most of my bird hunting there. Pretty decent grouse numbers but they get a lot of pressure in the lower part of the state. The U.P has real good numbers, but its a long drive for me.
JW I have seem them do some strange things also. The best was when my parents had a house Just out side of West Branch Mi. One year this grouse would always follow right behind you mowing the lawn. When you stoped and left the tractor running he would jump up on the tractor and sometimes on you. Start moving again. he would jump down and start following again. Strange little bird.