Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Vest or no Vest

Old 05-05-2003, 07:28 AM

Default Vest or no Vest

What are your thoughts on Vests? Are they worth the money or did you use it a couple of times and throw it into a shelf? If they are worth it which level do you recommend?
Regular
Regular with chest protector
Regular with chest protector and floatation.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:59 PM

Default RE: Vest or no Vest

First, what are you hunting? What type of cover are you hunting? The vest with floatation devices are strictly for waterfowl hunting. The other two can be used for upland and/or waterfowl.

I highly recommend the use of vest! Not only do they keep the dogs warm in the colder months, they are an asset for protecting the dogs from injury. Currently I am using the neoprene version (no chest-protector) and love them. These can be easily repaired (sewn), which is a big plus. The other styles I have used in the past lasted -- at best, one season. I have used the same neo' s for three seasons now. Another added feature is the multiple-patterns that vest come in. When upland hunting, one of my dogs always has a hunter-orange vest on -- especially during deer season.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:07 PM

I will primarily be hunting waterfowl in open water in a blind or out of a boat.

I guess my question is more.......Do they keep the dog warmer or not? Are are they more touble than they are worth? I have a golden that will retrieve in icy water without any complaints but I would like to make him as comfortable as I possibly can. Last season was his first season and it was a mild one. If it gets colder this season I am not sure if it will affect him. I have heard that they can not withstand temperatures as low as a lab.

Thanks[&:]
Old 05-06-2003, 06:13 PM

Caveman,

Yes, they will help keep the dog warmer and the ones with floatation devices will aid the dog during retrieves, since the dog has to expend less energy.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:46 AM

I use a vest for my Chessie on extreme days. If I buy another I will look for one with a nylon strap on the back to aid getting back in the boat. I think its worth the money.